Status
Not open for further replies.

Provo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone my name is Josh also known as "Provo"
new to the forums here and new to Digital Photography I come from using a basic Fuji Finepix e900 which I still use, but now I have moved up and my fiance has purchased for me an early birthday present so I now have a Nikon D5000 my first dslr :D I have not be able to put this camera down in the past 2 days I want to learn as much as possible about using it because we are getting married this December in St Thomas. 38 days to go.

I am a newbie to this I was taking pictures on my tripod to compose my 1st hdr only to realize I did not have auto bracketing on after I had made this picture but anyway my 1st attempt at hdr using a single raw, and now that I know to turn on auto bracketing I will try to take some better pictures this weekend. What are good resources for learning to use Nikon cameras? I have looked over the Digitutor site portion of nikons site thanks ahead for your opinions and resources as they are valued

4044046647_7fcbb1c8b4_b.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. I think it's a great shot!

A few things; I find the rag(?) to be very distracting. I'm guessing that this was taken out of a window? In the upper left corner there looks to be a window frame and in the right middle a lens flare, or light hitting the glass of the window. All these things are distracting, but for a one-shot HDR I think you got it pretty good.

I enjoy the contrast in the clouds as well as the rays of sunlight. The image really pops. Well done!

Why thanks I am surprised you thought I did good. What happened was as you can see I have decorations and managed to capture the top portion of the decoration hat and the roof line I was shooting on the tripod mid height to skyline aiming at the sunlight shining through the tree. Hopefully this weekend will be clear in Jersey and I can take more pictures of different scenery. Also noticed how fast this tree has changed to fall colors

4050212753_1985bc190b.jpg

Super cool but would agree with the distractions of the roof and hat. I like this one.

Whoa. That's really interesting. The parts where the sun hits the leaves makes it look almost as if they're on fire! I like it :)

I am new to HDR. I am confused on how you make and HDR image from one exposure? My understanding is you need three images.

Can someone enlighten me?

Thank you.

@kliwks

it's called exposure bracketing its a setting on your camera, pretty much takes it at -1 stop,then 0, then +1, after merging all those pictures together, it creates a HDR, pretty much a very well colored shot, sometimes over-colored ;)

also: doesn't have to be 3, some do it with 5 or so, the point is to have under, over and normal exposed shots

I am new to HDR. I am confused on how you make and HDR image from one exposure? My understanding is you need three images.

Can someone enlighten me?

Thank you.
You can take any file, convert it to 32 bit in Photoshop, then save as a tiff. That file can now be opened in Photomatix and tweeked with the sliders. Its not an HDR but you can get some interesting effects. You need at least two jpegs, preferably 3, and as many more as it takes to cover the range. A single RAW file can be used if you extract 3 exposure values from it.

Okay, I guess I'll the first (and only maybe) to say I think the image looks horrible....but I'll be nice and break down why I think it looks horrible.

1. Rag, roofline? Seriously? Surely you can at least take the effort to either move the rag, lean out and compose the shot without these disctractions....or take 10 steps and go out into the yard instead of on the porch.

2. You have a really large and bad flare over the tree on the right side of the screen.

3. The HDR is way overprocessed. Plus, you still have portions that are blown out....especially on both of the aparment buildings on the right.

4. Why are the top edges of the trees in the foreground black when the rest of the tree has color?

5. Just overall composition problems. Looks like it was a pretty sunset, but a picture with a bunch of apartment buildings off in the distance isn't the most pleasing compositionally.

Okay, I guess I'll the first (and only maybe) to say I think the image looks horrible....but I'll be nice and break down why I think it looks horrible.

1. Rag, roofline? Seriously? Surely you can at least take the effort to either move the rag, lean out and compose the shot without these disctractions....or take 10 steps and go out into the yard instead of on the porch.

2. You have a really large and bad flare over the tree on the right side of the screen.

3. The HDR is way overprocessed. Plus, you still have portions that are blown out....especially on both of the aparment buildings on the right.

4. Why are the top edges of the trees in the foreground black when the rest of the tree has color?

5. Just overall composition problems. Looks like it was a pretty sunset, but a picture with a bunch of apartment buildings off in the distance isn't the most pleasing compositionally.

yea... i didn't really understand what the other posts were about. I felt this way but thought i was just having a brain fart

For a first attempt it's not bad ok the rest ,rag etc is a problem but I imagine he only wanted to try HDR not take a great shot.
I've never tried it so watch this space.

yea... i didn't really understand what the other posts were about. I felt this way but thought i was just having a brain fart

totally agree here...this type of processing is very common of people who just figured out tonemapping, and the positive comments are common of people who dont know what to expect from HDR (with the exception of boogs comment).
sry if that;s harsh. i think i need a break.

Haters throw salt like rice at a wedding (Srbiscuit,Nates)
It’s this simple if you don’t like it don’t look at it, but you in fact depicted the picture in which tells everyone you really where admiring it you just being shy of admitting it LMAO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back