Newbie wanna pick up photography - where to start?

i thought i would chime in because i was in your position 3 or 4 months ago (although i had used point and shoots for a long time). i originally bought the XS on boxing day while there were deals going on. i wanted the T1i but they were sold out and i thought there wouldn't be much of a difference anyway so i took the XS home. i loved it, honestly, but when the T1i was back in stock i ended up returning the XS and getting that one instead.

i do see a difference between the two but as a novice (which i very much am) it's likely minimal. but my thinking was that i should buy the best equipment that i could afford at the time and the T1i was it. i've never used the video function (i'm not even sure that's a selling point, really).

i'm quite happy, although my mom just got the canon 60D and i can certainly see a difference in what images i can shoot with her vs. my camera (in low light, 60D seems to perform better, etc.).

i watched a couple of online instructional videos so i could get the fundamentals down. they were called "Foundations of Photography: Exposure" and "Foundations of Photography: Lenses" both by Ben Long. I watched them on Lynda.com but you'll need to subscribe to watch them. I personally learned a ton... but nothing has helped more than actually taking pictures and seeing what you get.

I bought the Rebel XS when I was ready for a DSLR. I love it and really don't have any complaints with it so far as it does everything I need it to do.

For what it offers and its price, I think it's a perfect camera for someone looking to get into photography a little deeper than just "pointing and shooting."

Since you're venturing into a new area, make sure you get all the important vaccines. The first one is against equipmentitis, which can cause severe diarrhea of the wallet. Related to that is brandosis, which skews your ability to make informed judgments. Later on, you have to be vigilant for symptoms of encepahlitis (also known as "swelled head") which seems to follow the successful capture of the first set of images. Other than that, practice makes perfect, and reading about basics won't give you cooties. Good luck!:lol:

:lmao: and :thumbup: Very good intro to photography.

I don't know Windsor but if you have a camera store, go visit, handle different makes and models, play with the controls and you'll figure out which one is for you. Having an idea of what you want to shoot may help make a decision too. For example, Pentax offers a weatherproof camera at a price that the bigger names can't seem to match and that would be very nice if you like to shoot in the rain or in dusty windy places.

You seem to be interested enough in photography that I don't see any point starting with a P&S. I believe it would be a waste of money. Digital vs film is easy enough to decide. Unless you are mostly interested in B&W and intend to do your own darkroom work, go digital.

A few things to keep in mind: used cameras can be just fine to start with but it helps to have an experienced friend to look potential ones over for you; in most stores you don't have to buy a kit lens, you can get a body and a 50mm or 35mm prime; most kit lenses are nowhere near the quality of a halfway decent prime, most zoom lenses are not either; zooms are in these days but they are big and heavy and cost more than prime for less quality while most zooming can easily be done with your feet.

The main thing though is that you can have fun with anything you buy. As is often said on the forum, more important than the camera, the 8 or so inches behing it.

Everyone thanks!!!!!

I think I just might settle for the Canon EOS Rebel XS Double Zoom Lens Kit - Sam's Club or http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital...A85A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300412233&sr=8-1

Dunno that 75-300 lens has some really awesome reviews! Kind like that bundle over the other bundles on Amazon (again though I'm a newbie so no idea if this really is the best bundle out there for the XS). I do understand that the T1i has HD video but I'll probably never use that (at least not for now) and the XS has more to offer than I'll take advantage of in a long time. Also maybe with the few extra bucks I'll be saving - perhaps a flash or other accessories.

@Punch I'll look into that site + instructional videos then I'll probably go ahead with my purchase

@JasonLambert thanks for the insight/recommendations/advice! Will follow through

@Spade thanks for the site

@Everyone else - thanks for chimming in!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back