Brand Spankin' New

SAPerkins01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, this is my first post and my first thread. I have looked all over this site and I have laughed and learned. But EVERYONE seems to be light years beyond me. :raisedbrow: So I have decided to jump right in and find out if there are others lurking out there like me. I would really like this thread to be dedicated to true beginners and some more experienced photographers with a kind heart and desire to share. I am reading the books and I have my first "photography" class on Saturday. I am SUPER excited about it. I just got my camera for Christmas. Yes, I have taken loads of pictures with it but just to see what my camera does and to see if I can use the settings properly. I have SO MUCH to learn and hope to do it with some encouragement and kind constuctive criticism. Shall we begin? :sexywink:

So dedicated.

Now, you were saying you have some pictures....

Yes, I do have some photos. But because I don't know much, I am kind of shy about putting them up. I had no idea what I was doing and just trying to learn my camera. But if I want to learn I guess I have to jump. I guess I need to find out how to post them. When I do...please be gentle!

Creat a Flikr.com or Photobucket.com account so you may share while you learn and as skills advance you can pay for a better image service.

Here are few of the photos I have taken. I am JUST LEARNING but if you have some insight, I am happy to hear it. Thanx in advance

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

For a noob, you're doing good!

Find a subject.... I see 3 images that have very weak subject matter. Do this...

1. Know your subject.
2. Fill your frame with your subject.
3. Simplify your image.

Say your taking a shot of a bird in a tree. Well taking the shot very wide with all of the tree around it and branches in the background is going to leave a viewer wondering what you are taking a picture of. Getting closer or zooming in will do a couple of things. One, you are going to fill your frame with the bird... Hey... We, as the viewer, know what you are taking a picture of now. The zoom mixed with a low aperture is going to blur out the background.

Just think about your shot before you take it. Ask yourself if this is an image you would want to see. Is it interesting enough to warrant conversation or would you just pass up the image without a second thought.

~Jason

I really appreciate the insight. When I took these pics, I was at a Frech restaraunt in the middle of the city with some nice landscape. I was trying to take pictures that would look like I was not in the middle of the city. I was trying to exercise my creative eye to see if I could get my goal to show up in a picture. I was also going for what I thought was irony...like a bear tree against a seemingly summery sky and a bush in front of what looks like it died long ago. My next picture goal will be to pick a subject and stay away from just filling a frame with stuff. Thanx!

So I was hoping that a noob other than me would join this thread and some experienced folks would mentor us from afar...any takers?

I'm a noob as well, I've found that what has helped me the most is getting the shutter actuation count up. I learn best by trial and error and with digital camera's there's no reason to not try to shot several times with different settings. That is how I finally started getting a good idea on how f stops and iso's work. Trial and error, then read about it and view others work, then go back out for more trial and error. This forum is a huge asset.

Most of all, enjoy it and have fun.

So I was hoping that a noob other than me would join this thread and some experienced folks would mentor us from afar...any takers?

That is pretty much what this whole forum is for. You post um, we critique um.

It will be less confusing in the long run if people post photos in their own threads, and number your images for easy reference.
It also helps us if you can say a little bit of why you took the picture, what appeals to you, what you are not happy with, what you think might be a strong point, and what you feel is weak. Camera info is helpful for technical response.

Just putting it out there.

Most reactions

Back