newbie wanting teleconverter advice

ohiodale

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello-

somewhat new looking to purchase a teleconverter for a SP AF70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD [IF] MACRO lens which will be mounted on my Nikon D7200. Please help me if you can and direct me to the right one.

its a Tamron lens by the way

I'm not sure there is a "right" one. I don't use a tamron myself but a lot of what I've read indicated this particular lens really doesn't like teleconverters, at least the vc version

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Hopefully you understand that using a teleconverter (TC) effective lens aperture.
A 1.4x TC will cost you 1 stop and your effective maximum aperture will be f/4, not f/2.8.
A 2x TC will cost you 2 stops and your lens will have an effective maximum lens aperture of f/5.6.

Not all TCs are created equal and the glass in the TC added to your lens will degrade image quality to some extent.
How much will depend on the quality of the TC.

Tamron makes TCs
You could email tamron specifically (this page has a specific contact) ==> Tamron Teleconverters

with a couple caveats ...
*1 Autofocus functions normally on any camera that offers F/8 autofocusing (see your camera’s instruction manual for your camera’s ability).

*2 Subjects with low contrast and/or luminosity values can sometimes result in out-of-focus images.

hmmm .. I might get one for my Tamron 150-600.

Tamron makes TCs
You could email tamron specifically (this page has a specific contact) ==> Tamron Teleconverters

with a couple caveats ...
*1 Autofocus functions normally on any camera that offers F/8 autofocusing (see your camera’s instruction manual for your camera’s ability).

*2 Subjects with low contrast and/or luminosity values can sometimes result in out-of-focus images.

hmmm .. I might get one for my Tamron 150-600.
The 70-200mm 2.8, at least the vc version, has been reported not to work even with tamron tcs. Not sure about the non-vc version

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

The 70-200mm 2.8, at least the vc version, has been reported not to work even with tamron tcs. Not sure about the non-vc version
Can you simply turn off VC?
or the TC is just not compatible ?

Can you simply turn off VC?
or the TC is just not compatible ?

From what I've heard the TC's are just not compatible with the lens, apparently even when used with most 1.4x TC's the lens won't autofocus, it just hunts and never acquires even in good light.

It's not an issue with the VR itself persee, but the VR version of the lens doesn't appear to work with most teleconverters, even surprisingly enough those made by Tamron. It's sort of a quirk of the lens I guess.

I haven't heard much about the non-VR versions so not sure if the same is true for them or not.

TC's affect image quality negatively and not really by a little, especially with zoom lenses. You will probably do better by cropping the image than to try to magnify it with a TC. I certainly do. If you must have one, then choose a 1.4x and nothing longer.

I have the Canon 70-200 f2.8 II and the EF 1.4XIII. They work fine together and the image quality is quite acceptable. The 2X not so. The focus is not as fast and of course you loose the 1 stop of light. Thing is if you want to get the most out of a lens and TC you need both a top quality lens and top quality TC. That can get expensive.

unfortunately it seems to be consensus that Auto focus will not work with this combo. I should have purchased the Nikkor lens first off - lesson learned

Most reactions

New Topics

Back