Newbie with a question :)

Sarie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What kind of photo editing software do you use?

Right now I'm just a point and shoot girl with no editing experience but I'm looking to get a little more into things in terms of an SLR and learning about editng. I'm planning to take a class or two and go through tutorials online but I'm wondering what your recommendations are for editing.

:) Thanks!

Photoshop is the 'industry standard' for photo and image editing...but it's also rather expensive. Photoshop Elements, is basically 'Photoshop Lite', it does most of the same things and is much less expensive.

A lot of people use a free program called GIMP.

I really like Adobe Lightroom. It's not a full image editing program but it helps with some editing. It's real strength is in controlling your entire workflow.

If you are a student, you may be able to get Adobe products with a student discount.

Photoshop is the 'industry standard' for photo and image editing...but it's also rather expensive. Photoshop Elements, is basically 'Photoshop Lite', it does most of the same things and is much less expensive.

A lot of people use a free program called GIMP.

I really like Adobe Lightroom. It's not a full image editing program but it helps with some editing. It's real strength is in controlling your entire workflow.

If you are a student, you may be able to get Adobe products with a student discount.

adobe does offer student and teacher discounts, it does not say how much, you may wait until you get into one of those classes if you take one, they may have it for class use, and they might be able to help ya out more on getting the discount if you still want it

Agree with PS Elements. I also like the Lightroom suggestion for the workflow (or ACDSee Pro).

To just get started in editing, I would think PS Elements a good choice, and it has an organizer to get you started with organizing and tagging your images.

I use aperture 2 and photoshop CS3 extended. Aperture to change levels and play with all that and then CS3 to do REAL editing and remove people and subjects etc.

I use Aperture 3, will be grabbing Photoshop in a month or so probably. But honestly, unless you are planning on doing a lot of manipulation (i.e. graphics work, not just touchups) then Lightroom or Aperture should suit you fine.

I believe Photoshop is $199 with a student discount.

Most reactions

Back