Newborn Photos - A typical "I have a shoot and not sure what to do" thread.

^^^ as the all said.

on another note, if you pay me money I'll tell everyone that you are a nice guy too. The more $$$, the more people I'll tell :)

Do you have shots in mind? Honestly I would stay away from posing and go for more natural poses of baby on bed/couch/being held. Swaddle is your friend! Prevents flailing arms and legs. If they are awake=swaddle! I shoot newborns at 2-2.8 natural light. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen stuff on Pinterest that seems like a good place to start. The mom has some ideas as well.

As far as lighting I was thinking a large soft box with a speed light above the camera and pointing down at 45 ish degrees.

I am not sure on the room and access to natural light.

yeah, light down the nose. I'm sure you knew that already ;)

I wouldn't use a flash at all. You should be able to get plenty of light from a fast prime and the baby in a well-lit/naturally-lit room.

I don't like the combination of flash + baby....
If you do, ok then... but please try without flash. Try natural light and a reflector...

Well... we're waiting to see results ;)

Hot water bottle under layers to keep baby warm and something to create white noise in the background.

Hot water bottle? Do they even make those anymore?

They do. Fill it to just under half' then hold it against you and squeeze until the water is at the top. Then put the stopper in. It will be fairly flat. Put a few layers of blankets/towels over it then baby on top. Works like a charm.

As far as lighting I was thinking a large soft box with a speed light above the camera and pointing down at 45 ish degrees.

That sounds good.

Paul C. Buff sells a boom attachment (The Baby Boomer) that holds the softbox directly above the baby, no doubt casting a very naturally-positioned light.

If mother is willing and capable of holding your softbox above the baby, that should be very nice light.

Key points to remember:
I am not getting paid.
A good friend
Not my first rodeo
I did not seek this out
This is a favor to a needy family
Low expectations

So a good friend had a baby recently and wants newborn photos. Since I am a nice guy (I keep telling people this) I offered to take some shots for free. Now initially expectations are low and I explained my lack of newborn experience, but both parties are comfortable with it. I, being the overachiever type would like to do a better than expected job and produce some quality images.

Now onto the questions.

Are flashes/strobes generally frowned upon?
Can it hurt a newborn?
Natural light better?
Should I use hot lights?
What are some good props to bring.

Anything else to consider?

Okay, shooting newborns and infants is much like shooting pets...unless you're a pro at this type of genre, just give up all control, be patient and grab opportunities when they present themselves. Be prepared to have a great shot turn out that was something you didn't anticipate or plan for...but the baby had a huge yawn or grabbed a piece of your gear or buried herself under a pillow.

Okay, specifics:

1. No, speed lights won't harm babies. But depending up age, flashes will disturb them or wake them. Personally, I recommend continuous lighting. Since you're going to have a challenge posing the youngster, continuous lighting is nice b/c you see the shadows real-time. Go get yourself a full-spectrum/daylight rated CFL. It's good for the environment, it will produce reasonably soft lighting, and you can use it to keep your plants alive next winter.

2. Soft light is best. So if you're not using soft ambient light, bring a soft box or scrim. Just imagine you're shooting boudoir (in terms of how soft you want the light to be).

3. Hot lights are good. Warmth is good. Frankly, I'd see about a electric blanket that you can set on a warm but safe temperature and put the little one on that.

4. Good props? Well, depends a little bit about the age. But some nice white soft fabric is good. Swaddle the little one in that for a lovely minimalist photo. A big flower (sunflower) can be good. A puppy or kitten (especially if it will cuddle up next to the baby). A stuffed toy. Something of sentimental value to the family (Mom's old stuffed toy when she was a baby, blanket from a previous child, a crocheted pillow from a deceased grandparent). A visual joke (like a book on "Admission to Top Colleges" or a football and then put some eye black under the eyes of the baby, or a package of condoms). A big ribbon to put around the baby's head. Think of things that put the baby in scale...so years from now people look at the photos and go "wow--she was SO SMALL" b/c they see her posed next to the football or apple. Or if the baby is awake, put her on her stomach and then behind her a trail of debris (broken pot, open box of crackers, flowers on the ground, crumpled up paper, a diaper) as you shoot her from the front (her face) with the debris behind her.

Some suggestions on poses/concepts:
1. I love skin-on-skin. Have the mom in a tube top (bare shoulders), shoot her from the back (so you see only her bare shoulders, neck, and head) with the baby peering over her shoulder or resting on her shoulder.
2. Parent and baby. One of my favorites is of my wife and son (who was only 2 months at the time. She's asleep on the couch on her back. David's asleep on his stomach resting on her chest and stomach.
3. Baby on top of an unrolled roll of toilet paper. It's soft, it absorbs messes, and it looks like the baby's been up to mischief.
4. If we're talking about a baby that is a more than 2 months, put her with a pot/pan and wooden spoon (like she's been playing and drumming).
5. Think bodyscapes or closeups. A small hand clasping Mom's finger. A mouth on a nipple. A closeup of the baby's feet (especially if they're next to the feet of a toy animal or something else that puts them in scale).

Last edited:
I don't like the combination of flash + baby....
If you do, ok then... but please try without flash. Try natural light and a reflector...
Yet, there is no guarantee the sun will behave on the day of the shoot, nor is the time of day settled with daylight hours. That's a good reason to become proficient with OCF. The resultant likeliness should be indistinguishable.

runnah, I would suggest if OCF is used, pull out the largest modifier in your bag to create the softest light possible. The intensity can be minimal and still yield excellent results.

That was probably me, Ron, posting about concerns related to baby poses I've seen used in photos and demonstrated in videos etc. My background is in child development with a specialization in birth to three w/infants w/developmental delays.

Runnah, it might be best to think about what you learned from medical professionals when your child first came home from the hospital and what you did as a first time parent. Some of the poses I've seen are ways that a newborn wouldn't be typically positioned - there's a reason you support a newborn's head and neck. Some poses seem to have the baby's head flopped over or bent forward or back (even the so-called and apparently popular froggy position concerns me) - they should be positioned with the head and neck and trunk aligned. I didn't realize how serious this could potentially be til I found info. that a newborn with the chin down on the chest could start to slowly suffocate in 1-2 minutes (and I knew of a baby who died in a sling, some of those are apparently safer than others).

Also the wrapping or binding the legs tightly is not something that I would think should be done either - if a baby's going to be swaddled the blanket should be loose enough for the baby to move its legs, swaddling needs to be done properly. (I'll look up and post the links later.) Also I don't think beanbags are enough support (again the concern about them sinking down in it and the positioning), I wouldn't use boxes either (the way it bends the neck). Or stay for hours, I used to do visits for an hour usually at most.

I'd use equipment designed for infants such as a boppy or infant carrier, if any - I often did floor time, you could use pretty or cute baby quilts or blankets under the child, or parents holding the baby. You might even want to just let the parents hold and position their child while you take the pictures. Use your daddy common sense and protective instincts like you do with your own son and you'll probably do fine.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I will have the results soon.

Vintage. Yeah I am going to be very careful, I already told the mom I don't want to do any poses that could harm the baby.

I could have used some croutons with my soup this evening.

"Hey, Mabel! This soup needs more light! Pass the light shaker will ya?

Omg is all I am going to say!

Most reactions

Back