Newborn Studio- Camera/Lens/Light

Fere

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everybody,
Im going to open a photograph studio that specialize in new born baby´s photography, i need help choosing the best camera, lens and light for this job. I don´t want to purchase to expend more than $4000.
Could you please help and advise?

Many thanks in advance,

The photographer you hire will probably have her or his own camera already.

Hi everybody,
Im going to open a photograph studio that specialize in new born baby´s photography, i need help choosing the best camera, lens and light for this job. I don´t want to purchase to expend more than $4000.

Many thanks in advance,

What cameras have you used before? Any examples of your work? It'll be a lot easier to give suggestions with that information.

Thanks for your advise.
You are right. Probably someone like you an expert

Hi everybody,

Many thanks in advance,

What cameras have you used before? Any examples of your work? It'll be a lot easier to give suggestions with that information.
Hi,

Before photography was a hobby for me and I was taking photo by Nikon D5500 from my family, in traveling, nature,..., but I would like to follow it seriously. I just registered for a newborn photography course and gathering information what do I need for the studio with how much cost and so on. For instance, I think I need 86" PLM umbrella with 400W flash, 24-70mm f 2.8 lens could be enough,...
If you have any idea or experience to share it with me, I appreciate.

No offense but if your asking these questions you are not nearly ready to be opening a business doing this.

No offense but if your asking these questions you are not nearly ready to be opening a business doing this.
As I said I just begins my long journey into photography world. Everyone starts from one question or one place. No professional is born. Anyway, thanks for your reply.

You said you signed up for a course, that's a good start. By your question it appears you've also been reading, another good start. Rather than buy anything right now I would suggest you finish the course first, during which time you can always practice things you've learned. By the end you should be in a better position to determine your needs. Setting up a studio isn't rocket science, it's the systematic acquisition of equipment that fits "YOUR" specific needs. Where most people fail is acquiring things willy nilly without a thorough knowledge of what they want to accomplish now and in the future. You can quickly run through your budget only to find what you have, really doesn't accomplish what you need. Plan ahead so you don't box yourself in with equipment you can't expand on.

Thanks for your advise.
You are right. Probably someone like you an expert

I realize my response to you was impolite, and certainly not fitting for your first post to the forum. I do apologize, I'm normally a much friendlier person. Welcome to the forum.

I am an expert, but not in photography. I'm an expert in my own proffesion. I don't know which camera and lens and light is best for baby photography. Don't forget to include all the grip and rigging gear you'll need like stands and backdrops, modifiers, props. And a healthy insurance policy for working with families with children.

Consult with an expert on child developement. I think there are some concerns with flash and newborns, and safe posing technique.

I admire your ambition!

I wish I hadn't posted my snarky reply. However, If I went to an auto mechanics forum with a first post of "I want to open a repair shop specializing in Ferrari. What wrench and screwdriver and hammer should I get?" ... I would expect a similar reply.

Best luck to you!

Hi everybody,
Hi, and welcome!

For instance, I think I need 86" PLM umbrella with 400W flash, 24-70mm f 2.8 lens could be enough,...
I think you are on the right track, just a bit over-zealous. I will recommend a Nikon D700 for the excellent rendering qualities of that processor. It is a "full frame" (I really hate that term) DSLR, and which has always been considered a "professional" grade camera. They are no longer in current production, so look for a clean, lightly-used model for around $700.

I cannot recommend the zoom lens. Even though many professionals use that lens, it is not the best for rendering depth and subtle details. Instead, I will recommend one or two prime lenses, a fairly short one for those times when you can't avoid it, and a medium length lens for your go-to portrait lens. Ideally, your "short" lens will be in the 105mm to 85mm length. Your main portraiture lens might be more like 135mm or even longer if you have the space for it. The main difficulty you have with infants is they cannot sit or stand, so you may find yourself hovering over the top while they are lying down. Not an ideal setup for portraiture, to be sure, but I have some ideas on that. (PM me if interested). At the very least, your short lens might be in the 60mm length, but get a good one. So now I've given you some food for thought, the 105mm and a 60mm will get you there.

As for your light, you won't need 400ws of flash under normal circumstances. You can easily use 150 to 300 ws lights, so I'd get two or three. As for your modifier, a large parabolic umbrella is nice, but for a professional studio, you should be looking at softboxes or "brolly-boxes", which are umbrellas with a back cover. If you are setting up a home studio, you can generally leave your softboxes set up, but if you are traveling, then learn how to efficiently set them up when you go to someone's house. (I recommend that you don't do that, just have your clients come to you.)

Also, you will need some posing benches (not literal benches, of course), light stands for the softboxes, possibly radio controllers for the flashes, reflectors (that you can make yourself), tripod or camera stand, and a place for diaper changes, nursing, etc.

Good luck with this, and keep us informed as to your progress. (and ignore the naysayers)

Rather than buy anything right now I would suggest you finish the course first

EXACTLY!
I think the course requires "homework", so they need a camera. If she is buying from scratch, then she wants to get the gear that she will use when hanging out her shingle.

I think the course requires "homework", so they need a camera. If she is buying from scratch, then she wants to get the gear that she will use when hanging out her shingle.

True, but in the first post, first sentence - "Before photography was a hobby for me and I was taking photo by Nikon D5500". I assumed the OP still had this camera, if not then I would agree with you. However, I've seen so many in their haste to "jump in" buy equipment without thinking it through. If someone is just starting out why not take advantage of a breather and do it right the first time.

Look in to specialized studio equipment, like a good, convertible posing table, one that has a multi-angle top that converts into a wedge, and a chair, for posing very new babies. I used to work at a studio, and a multi-configuration posing table is reallllllly handy for posing babies that can not even hold their head up, or who struggle even with simple things like "tummy time". I'm not kidding you either. A baby poser will have a recessed "throne-like" place, where you can position the baby, with the right fabric or throw over the foam-covered seating/posing place, and that helps the baby sit upright, or slightly,slightly reclined; the closest thing you might think of would be a huuuuge baby car seat, with a throw over it, yet, different. And the "ramp"? it's literally a ramp, so the baby can be placed tummy-down, at the front edge of the ramp, and thus placed in an "active" pose, with the face held in a good position for the camera, despite the fact that the baby can barely hold his or her head up when placed tummy-down.

Without a baby poser, you'll be working in an entirely different manner, which is basically, unsafe (legal liability), and depending on the parent to "catch the baby". And speaking of which...you danged well better have a big shooting area, where the baby can NOT fall off the front or sides of the table.

I've photographed maybe 800 babies under one year of age. it's demanding work. And frankly, I think a studio devoted to it would require much experience, and a very skilled photographer. And it's not at all just about the camera or lights, but about how to be a studio shooter. it's much more a soft-skills game than it is camera and lights and props and fabrics.

You said you signed up for a course, that's a good start. By your question it appears you've also been reading, another good start. Rather than buy anything right now I would suggest you finish the course first, during which time you can always practice things you've learned. By the end you should be in a better position to determine your needs. Setting up a studio isn't rocket science, it's the systematic acquisition of equipment that fits "YOUR" specific needs. Where most people fail is acquiring things willy nilly without a thorough knowledge of what they want to accomplish now and in the future. You can quickly run through your budget only to find what you have, really doesn't accomplish what you need. Plan ahead so you don't box yourself in with equipment you can't expand on.
Definitely I will consult with the teacher of the course. I just like to use my time before the course and collect info about newborn photography as much as I can. I do not have much money to waste them. Thanks,

Most reactions

New Topics

Back