Newborn Studio- Camera/Lens/Light

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Fere, Feb 16, 2018.

1. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    True, but in the first post, first sentence - "Before photography was a hobby for me and I was taking photo by Nikon D5500". I assumed the OP still had this camera, if not then I would agree with you. However, I've seen so many in their haste to "jump in" buy equipment without thinking it through. If someone is just starting out why not take advantage of a breather and do it right the first time.

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Look in to specialized studio equipment, like a good, convertible posing table, one that has a multi-angle top that converts into a wedge, and a chair, for posing very new babies. I used to work at a studio, and a multi-configuration posing table is reallllllly handy for posing babies that can not even hold their head up, or who struggle even with simple things like "tummy time". I'm not kidding you either. A baby poser will have a recessed "throne-like" place, where you can position the baby, with the right fabric or throw over the foam-covered seating/posing place, and that helps the baby sit upright, or slightly,slightly reclined; the closest thing you might think of would be a huuuuge baby car seat, with a throw over it, yet, different. And the "ramp"? it's literally a ramp, so the baby can be placed tummy-down, at the front edge of the ramp, and thus placed in an "active" pose, with the face held in a good position for the camera, despite the fact that the baby can barely hold his or her head up when placed tummy-down.

Without a baby poser, you'll be working in an entirely different manner, which is basically, unsafe (legal liability), and depending on the parent to "catch the baby". And speaking of which...you danged well better have a big shooting area, where the baby can NOT fall off the front or sides of the table.

I've photographed maybe 800 babies under one year of age. it's demanding work. And frankly, I think a studio devoted to it would require much experience, and a very skilled photographer. And it's not at all just about the camera or lights, but about how to be a studio shooter. it's much more a soft-skills game than it is camera and lights and props and fabrics.

3. Fere

Fere TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Definitely I will consult with the teacher of the course. I just like to use my time before the course and collect info about newborn photography as much as I can. I do not have much money to waste them. Thanks,

4. Fere

Fere TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It is ok. To do wrong thing is easy but to confess is so much difficult. Thanks for your understanding and support. I did search about posing, stands, backdrops, ... and I hope to get more experience at the course, but my biggest problem is camera, lens and light, since I do not have much money to spend. I have to be careful.
    You are right again:) my question is general.

5. Fere

Fere TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks a lot for your explanation. That is what I was looking for, some advises, some guides, some ideas, some experiences,... It gave me positive energy to follow what I like to do and not give up.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fere

Fere TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You mentioned good points and it is clear that you have a lot experience. I know it is not easy to expect parents to give their little baby to me for photography. First I have to make a safe place and then studio. Many thanks for sharing your experience.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

I recommended a different model camera because the D5500 is not what she needs.