newsletter

ferny

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.blueyedmuffin.co.uk
I think it's been suggested before.
How about a monthly newsletter? In it you could include the latest monthly challenge, new or suddenly active themes, the photo people have voted for in themes, the latest assignment and ones issued in the past month and anything else worthy of note floating around the forum. Could bring back members once were.

I seem to recall us kicking this around before. This is one of those things that sounds really great conceptually, but might be somewhat labor intensive to put into practice.

Wanna volunteer?? :mrgreen: You're a good writer, and I could edit it for ya. :D

That would be the major factor to consider. If we were to create a few "columns" that people would like to write and include them in a monthly edition, that could work. Finding people that have the time or energy to do that is usually the trick! ;)

True... Good point Hertz - always the common sense shining through.

But it'd be great for people like me who just went on holidays and missed a whole bunch of stuff that was going on. It'd also be a good and easy way to show new people what happens here and quickly expose them to the 'culture' here.

Meysha said:
But it'd be great for people like me who just went on holidays and missed a whole bunch of stuff that was going on. It'd also be a good and easy way to show new people what happens here and quickly expose them to the 'culture' here.
In that case it's not a newsletter but a digest.
A newsletter is mostly what is going to happen with a bit of what is happening 'now' thrown in.
A digest is about what has happened - a round up of major events over the past month.
This would entail one or more people reading every thread, deciding what was important and writing a brief synopsis.
Both sound like full-time jobs - but if people have nothing better to do...

Alternatively, people could just read the forums to find out what is going on.
And the people who fly by now and then? The ones who only pop up, take a nose to see waht's going on and then vanish? It'd be mainly for them to remind them this place still exists and to encourage them to come back and visit. Keep the forum active and busy. Plus what Vicky said.

A newsletter is mostly what is going to happen with a bit of what is happening 'now' thrown in.
I was talking the rather literal sense of a letter containing, well, news. Sorry.

Both sound like full-time jobs - but if people have nothing better to do...
Not much harder than moderating a forum I'd assume. You could work it through the forum moderators. They put forward interesting threads from their forum and the people compiling the news... digest choose which ones are best suited. Seeing as mods read every thread in their forum to make sure they're ok I don't think making one extra post per month would take up that much of their time. As for the people creating the thingy-me-bob, it's up to them if they want to help out and what they do with their time.

Wanna volunteer??
Are we talking newsletter writter or sex slave? :blushing:

You're a good writer, and I could edit it for ya.
You are coming onto me!!! :blushing: :mrgreen:

If we were to create a few "columns" that people would like to write and include them in a monthly edition, that could work. Finding people that have the time or energy to do that is usually the trick!
Ahh, columns would be tricky. That'd actually involve people being active and doing work. I was just thinking along the lines of "and this month you have missed...". You're thinking much bigger than me. :oops: :mrgreen:

I'm just throwing out suggestions. Gotta get that post count up haven't I. Plus, this forum looked lonely.

Normally, I would volunteer for the actual putting together of this, but unfortunately I'll just have to volunteer as a Beta Reader. I'm going on holidays again from this thursday until the start of July. But put me down on the list for month 2.
I'm starting to get depressed at how much I'm not going to know what's going on here - and shock horror - what will happen to my post average! ARGH!!

Digest, Smi-gest. You and your fancy pants words.. hehehe ;-) I actually had the same understanding of "news-letter" as ferny had.... a digest.

It could probably have a little extract of some of the more interesting/useful threads the mods have seen, especially from the Q&A and review sections.
The latest hissy-fit in off topic.
A highly praised photo somewhere on the forum.
The latest assignments of the week.
A featured member - sort of like the interviews with a mod thing that you guys were doing a month or so ago.

Most reactions

Back