Next lens for a D40?

Patm1313

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am in the market to buy another lens for my D40, and at the moment I only have the one that came in the kit. Also, as always, I'm on a limited budget.

So what should be my next lens?

Without any more information from you, I'd suggest the 55-200mm VR Nikkor. It's not the fastest lens, but it's a great zoom for the price, and the VR is worth it's weight in gold.

Without any more information from you, I'd suggest the 55-200mm VR Nikkor. It's not the fastest lens, but it's a great zoom for the price, and the VR is worth it's weight in gold.

I was looking into that. I am definitley looking for a larger lens. I don't know whether the VR is worth it, $50 could be used for something else.

It is most DEFINITELY worth it. Seriously. It will save you a lot of shots. I can't think of anything else I'd rather have spent the $50 on. Get VR, you won't be sorry.

I don't know whether the VR is worth it, $50 could be used for something else.

What does $50 buy you in photography? A filter? A memory card?

Yes, the VR is worth it. Lucky me, I have a camera with it built in, but that's neither here nor there because it's not a Nikon.

Get the VR.

Another vote for VR. Especially at telephoto lengths, VR is a must-have unless you are able to shoot at 1/1000th, which is not possible most of the time with a slow lens like the 55-200mm.

it depends on you if what kind of picture do you like most.macro shots or something like that..so better decide first..

I agree with the other posters. You give no information for us to guide you to your next lens.

Here is some info we would need to help you make an informed decision.

Budget would be a great place to start.
What do you plan on shooting? (Macro, Sports, Landscapes, Portraits, etc.)
Do you care if you have to manually focus the lens?

Let us know and we can point you in the right direction.

Pete

I agree with the other posters. You give no information for us to guide you to your next lens.

Here is some info we would need to help you make an informed decision.

Budget would be a great place to start.
What do you plan on shooting? (Macro, Sports, Landscapes, Portraits, etc.)
Do you care if you have to manually focus the lens?

Let us know and we can point you in the right direction.

Pete

I have a limited budget, which is under $300.
I shoot everything and anything, but I don't shoot much macro.
Yes, I don't want to manually focus.

But I think I've made my decision on the 55-200mm VR.

Most reactions

Back