Next lens, should I just flip a coin between these two?

Rancor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm trying to decide which of these two very beginner lens' I should pick up next.

I currently own a Rebel XS and have the 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 kit lens that comes with it. Junk lens from what I hear. So I'm going to grab one of these next, and eventually I will grab both, but were probably looking at a 3-6 month space between buying the first and the second (unless I just get in one of those moods, and then I'll grab both at the same time). So which of these two would you suggest I pick up first:

Canon 50mm F/1.8 II
or
Canon 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 USM III

I really want the 1.8 for low light, but I really want the 300mm for range.

And here's the kicker. One of my favorite forms of photography, which I hope to start doing more of soon, is concert photography, in which case you need both low light and range. Damn you choices!!!!!

The 50 1.8 isn't a bad choice. The 75-300 is at least as crappy as your 18-55 kit. Why not consider upgrading your kit to the current kit, the 18-55 IS? It's much better, and I believe it's about $150. As far as tele, wait til you have the money to buy something decent.

Have you considered getting a 430EXII flash instead of another lens?

I actually have the IS (that stands for Image Stabilization right)

I didn't know there was a non-IS. I'll include that from now on. So in that case, the 75-300mm is worse than my kit lense...NVM then, it'll be the 1.8

if you can swing it get the 50mm 1.4. you will be happier with it than the 1.8. The 1.8 is a great lens though. I also have the 75-300mm USM III the photo quality is not there. If you want the 75-300mm USM go with the IS version it is 3 times better.

if you can swing it get the 50mm 1.4. you will be happier with it than the 1.8. The 1.8 is a great lens though. I also have the 75-300mm USM III the photo quality is not there. If you want the 75-300mm USM go with the IS version it is 3 times better.

I believe the only IS version is 70-300, that's what I have and it's "okay" but quite a bit more money. Just to clarify, I could be wrong.

Also, OP you say that the lens is "junk" based on what you have heard. What is your issue with it, besides of course the small maximum aperture?

I believe the only IS version is 70-300, that's what I have and it's "okay" but quite a bit more money. Just to clarify, I could be wrong.

You, sir, are correct. There are two versions of the 75-300, USM and non-USM. Optically, I believe they are the same, which isn't saying much. While the 70-300 IS may not be "L" quality glass, it is a significant improvement over either of the 75-300's.

I have no issue with my lens other than short focal length and small maximum aperture. I haven't had any issues outside of range and low light, and I can usually get closer or use a flash. Other people seem to call it junk, and I assume when compared to what they have, and the other options out there, it is. But it beats my old sony P&S any day.

Also, my current budget (perhaps this chould have been mentioned sooner) is about $300 per lens. If I can start getting paid to shoot, then that changes things.

The 55-250 is pretty much "you get what you pay for". If you're serious about IQ, then save, save, save and get the best you can. Any tele at or below $300 is going to be very consumer. You could buy it, but at some point you'll want something better, and a consumer lens won't have nearly the resale of a prosumer or pro lens. My advice, which is free, and therefore also "get what you pay for", would be get the 50 1.8 and don't worry about a tele right know. Sharpen your chops with your kit and the 50 1.8. Really learn your cam, composition, and the mechanics of photography. All the while you're doing that, save for something along the lines of a 70-200 f4 L. Look at it as a reward for your efforts. Putting the cart before the horse just leads to more money foolishly spent up front.

Do not own a 55-250mm IS but from what I have heard it' s a descent enough lens for its price but even I would suggest saving up for a better telephoto

Last edited:
have the 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 kit lens that comes with it. Junk lens from what I hear.
You heard wrong. Used properly, the lens will make stunning photographs.

Because it's a kit lens, most people using it don't know enough about photography to use the lens effectively, and blame their ineptitude on their gear.

Fast f/1.8 lenses let in more light, but the DOF gets really shallow making it difficult to get everything in focus you want in focus, and your XS does not have a DOF preview button.

Auto focus doesn't work well in the low light common to concert venues either.

have the 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 kit lens that comes with it. Junk lens from what I hear.
You heard wrong. Used properly, the lens will make stunning photographs.

Because it's a kit lens, most people using it don't know enough about photography to use the lens effectively, and blame their ineptitude on their gear.

Fast f/1.8 lenses let in more light, but the DOF gets really shallow making it difficult to get everything in focus you want in focus, and your XS does not have a DOF preview button.

Auto focus doesn't work well in the low light common to concert venues either.

As I have stated before in another thread, THE XS DOES HAVE A DoF PREVIEW BUTTON! http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/Canoneos1000d/images/allroundview.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back