What's new

Next lense

Turnermator21

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 10, 2011
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
London
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys,
I've already got a 50mm 1.8, Tamron 70-300mm and kit lens 18-55mm for my 400d. I also have a basic flash gun for it.
I prefer to take shots at car race tracks, zoos and just general shots.
What would you recommend be my next purchase for my setup on a limited budget?
I really like the blur effect the prime 50mm lens gives to the background.

All advice or suggestions are more than welcome!
Cheers!
 
Both lens and lense are proper spellings and having nearly the same meaning are synonymous.

Lense refers to a single piece of glass, whereby lens refers to a combination of individual pieces of glass working together to produce a photographic image.


The blur effect the 50 mm produces can be had from both the 18-55 and the 70-300 lens if the shot is set up properly. That blur effect is called depth-of-field (DOF) and is affected by 4 variables:
  1. Focal point to camera image sensor distance.
  2. Focal point to background distance
  3. lens focal length
  4. lens aperture.
Understanding Depth of Field in Photography
Eye Shutter 2 Think: Photography Lesson 3

You don't state a budget amount, nor do you indicate what you hope your next purchase will do that you can't do now with what you have.

You don't say what kind of car race tracks, nor if you do or don't have track access.

I would suggest you learn more about the technical aspects of photography.
 
Thanks for the advice. Is a good link you have sent me!
I didn't realise I was being marked on my spelling here too.

I go to local race tracks as a spectator with no pass and find good spots to take pictures without fences interrupting the view. I have found the panning technique very useful with a slow shutter speed to focus solely on the subject.

I was mainly enquiring if there was a great lens or piece of kit that would really stand out for me to buy that would be able to help me create those eye catching shots. I appreciate that settings play a major role and I have been watching many tutorials and I'm still very much an amateur but I'm getting very interested in photography now!

Are there any sites to buy cheap second hand lenses or good third party lenses? Budget £200 approx.

All constructive comments are welcome.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom