What's new

Next Step: Teleconvert

klotzishere20

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 31, 2009
Messages
80
Reaction score
0
Location
WI, U.S.
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well I just got the 400mm 2.8 canon. And now I was thinking about getting a teleconverter for it. I was wondering the difference between the mark I and the Mark II. Also was wondering the preference between the 1.4 and the 2. I will be using it for multiple subjects from small birds to large mammals.
 
I use the 1.4x II on my 300 and it works great. I have heard the 2x does cause some issues with sharpness, but never tried.
 
The 400mm f2.8 should be more than capable of taking the 1.4 and chances are image quality will hardly take any noticable degradation. A 2*TC should also work very well with this lens, the image quality will be more noticably affected, but the images you get out should still be perfectly usable. The trick will be remembering that you have an 800mm lens and thus a very solid tripod and good shutter speed will be very important in avoiding handshake.

I would say choose between a slight increase of the 1.4 and the longer increase of the 2*TC. In addition I belive the only major difference between the Mk1 and Mk2 teleconverters is the improvment of weathersealing - the actual image quality is (from reviews) not that different. I'm sure I've read this from a review on this site here:
The Luminous Landscape Reviews Contents
but I can't seem to find it at present..
 
I use a canon 1.4mk2 and a Kenko pro 2x on my 300F2.8L, i bought the Kenko to try out before i bought the Canon but i didn't buy the Canon because the Kenko was so good and only cost £60 (canon £240)
here's one with the Kenko 2X

188042161_gpBM5-XL.jpg
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom