KmH

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
kharrodphotography.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
March ('18) I'll again be riding Amtrak's California Zephyr from Ottumwa to Sacramento.
I've been on that route in the spring, summer, and fall, and wanted to travel the route while the Rockies & Sierras are still snow covered.

Once I get to Sacramento I have a private room booked for 2 nights at the HI Sacramento Hostel, a Victorian mansion within walking distance of the train station.

The day after I arrive in Sacramento I'll hop on an early Amtrak California Capitol Corridor train for the 2 hour ride to Jack London Square in Oakland.
From the train station I'll walk to the Oakland San Francisco Bay Ferry landing and catch the 10:15 ferry to Pier 41 - arriving there at 11 AM (Senior (65+) fare: $3.40).

For lunch it's a toss up between seafood (probably pacific sanddab) or there's an In-N-Out near pier 41 (Animal Style In-N-Out Double-Double, fries, and a milk shake). I'll hang out along the Embarcadero for the afternoon, and then catch Amtrak's Fisherman's Wharf Thruway bus at 4:30 to start heading back to Sacramento.

The next morning at 11 AM I'll board the California Zephyr to return to Iowa.

March ('18) I'll again be riding Amtrak's California Zephyr from Ottumwa to Sacramento.
I've been on that route in the spring, summer, and fall, and wanted to travel the route while the Rockies & Sierras are still snow covered.

Once I get to Sacramento I have a private room booked for 2 nights at the HI Sacramento Hostel, a Victorian mansion within walking distance of the train station.

The day after I arrive in Sacramento I'll hop on an early Amtrak California Capitol Corridor train for the 2 hour ride to Jack London Square in Oakland.
From the train station I'll walk to the Oakland San Francisco Bay Ferry landing and catch the 10:15 ferry to Pier 41 - arriving there at 11 AM (Senior (65+) fare: $3.40).

For lunch it's a toss up between seafood (probably pacific sanddab) or there's an In-N-Out near pier 41 (Animal Style In-N-Out Double-Double, fries, and a milk shake). I'll hang out along the Embarcadero for the afternoon, and then catch Amtrak's Fisherman's Wharf Thruway bus at 4:30 to start heading back to Sacramento.

The next morning at 11 AM I'll board the California Zephyr to return to Iowa.

That sounds like quite a fun trip! Do you dislike flying or really like riding the rails? Or both?

Pix....... or it never happened.

I don't dislike the actual flying part.
I dislike the getting to/from the airplane at the airport part.
The TSA security theater is particularly onerous as repeated tests have shown that the TSA is pretty much a total failure at its intended purpose.

I'll fly if I need to get somewhere quickly.
Otherwise, the train is for me a much more pleasant travel experience.

I don't dislike the actual flying part.
I dislike the getting to/from the airplane at the airport part.
The TSA security theater is particularly onerous as repeated tests have shown that the TSA is pretty much a total failure at its intended purpose.

I'll fly if I need to get somewhere quickly.
Otherwise, the train is for me a much more pleasant travel experience.

When I was in high school I took Amtrak from Ann Arbor to West Palm Beach FL. I said I would never do that again in my life! But it was because I was uninformed at the time. The ticket was like $150 round trip by rail. $200 by air. I decided it would be fun to take the train. And save $50 to boot. Well I knew I was in trouble when the train to FL from Eastern MI, actually went West to Chicago first. :aiwebs_016: Then from Chicago, change trains to one that goes to Pittsburgh! Crossing right through Toledo which is only 40 miles south of Ann Arbor. :BangHead: Get more cars in Pittsburgh. By now its getting late. And I am waiting on the conductor to tell me I can go to a sleeper. :048: There was this family on the other side and they start pulling out pillows and sleeping bags. I was like, oh no, no, no. :aiwebs_016: So, I ask the conductor about a berth. And he goes it's $80's and there are several available. So, of course I decline. I was up all night. And when we hit a car (yup in a train wreck). We had to back up to the scene and wait. Just took it's front end off, nobody injured. Anyway 72 hours to get to FL by train from MI. It can be driven in about 20 hours with stops to my grandfathers. :048: Only nice thing was the observation car and going through the Smokies. Talking about being tired once I got there though.

On the return trip I actually changed my reservation on Got on in NC driving up to my fathers camp there. Still a very long trip back.

I have looked into doing a TransCanada trip, but with private berth of course. Still need to bring lots of entertainment with you. But I would suspect being able to lie flat would make a huge difference in the quality of the trip. Light sleeper though.

Great story.
Yes. It helps if you are better informed.
Unfortunately, hitting vehicles on grade crossings, or hitting people trespassing on the right-of-way happens pretty much daily somewhere in the US.
Crossing Collisions & Casualties by Year | Operation Lifesaver, Inc.

For me, the scenery we pass provides all the 'entertainment' I need when I ride the train.
Before a trip I research sights on the trip and information about the geology, history, etc.
Of course I have a camera with me too.

Most reactions

Back