Nifty 50 1.8 or 1.4?

asalmon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay....I know that this has probably been hashed out before, but I still haven't found the answers that I have been looking for with regards to the "Nifty 50s." Is the Nikon 50mm f/1.4G AF-S really worth the extra $220. Is there really that big of a difference between the two 1.4 or 1.8?. I am shooting with a D3000 with the hopes of upgrading to maybe a D90 in the future. Which lens would work better?

Thanks,
Alex

Buy the 50mm f/1.8 AF-S G series....aka the "brand new,aspherical element design Nikon 50".

ditto along with derrel. at half the price and better image quality, it's the ultimate bang for your buck. but if you must have that extra shallow DOF... well.. the heart wants what the heart wants.

Agreed. On a D3000 with no internal AF motor, you should be getting AF-S lenses anyways. And the price difference is not THAT steep. Compared to the 85mm's I'm looking at now, if the 85mm 1.4 D or G was just a mere 220 dollar price difference from the 1.8, I'd get it in a heartbeat.

Listen to Derrel on this one! If you want a 1.8, get the Nikon 50 1.8G.

If you do make the extra investment into a 1.4 lens, AVOID the the Nikon 50 1.4G and buy a Sigma 50 1.4 instead. The Sigma kills the 1.4G in focus speed and bokeh performance.

Thanks everyone for the feedback...you've given me a lot to think about...I'll probably go with the 1.8 for now until I upgrade my camera.

Thanks again!
Alex

Buy the 50mm f/1.8 AF-S G series....aka the "brand new,aspherical element design Nikon 50".

Did just that. Its also focusses with the F100, yeay!
Not to mention how little light is no longer a problem, changes late dusk to day :D

Last edited:
The new "G" version of the 1.8 is the definite winner here.

f1.8 advantages:
-sharper with better contrast at f1.8 and f2
-significantly cheaper
-significantly lighter

f1.4 advantages:
-more aperture blades which will give stopped down photos better bokeh (not an issue wide-open since the barrel, not the aperture blades define the edges wide-open).
-shoots at f1.4, albeit in a somewhat soft, low contrast manner.

Listen to Derrel on this one! If you want a 1.8, get the Nikon 50 1.8G.

If you do make the extra investment into a 1.4 lens, AVOID the the Nikon 50 1.4G and buy a Sigma 50 1.4 instead. The Sigma kills the 1.4G in focus speed and bokeh performance.

+1

I'm about to order one and I'm all about Nikon glass

Most reactions

Back