Nikon 70-200 VR I--Worth the money?

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So my college is planning on hiring me to shoot the cross-country, soccer, and golf teams. Right now I use a D7000 and 80-200 2.8D to shoot the games--I'm looking at upgrading to the 70-200 VR I, but.... is it really worth the 1800 dollars or so? From everything I read, it focuses significantly faster and produces significantly sharper images. Can anyone else chime in?

Regards,
Jake

So my college is planning on hiring me to shoot the cross-country, soccer, and golf teams. Right now I use a D7000 and 80-200 2.8D to shoot the games--I'm looking at upgrading to the 70-200 VR I, but.... is it really worth the 1800 dollars or so? From everything I read, it focuses significantly faster and produces significantly sharper images. Can anyone else chime in?

Regards,
Jake

$1800?! I've seen VRI's go for around $1200 on ebay, which, if you sold your 80-200 to get it, isn't bad at all. For $1800 it darn well better be a VRII

Well i guess i'm just afraid of buying off of ebay. Especially when spending that kind of money.

Ever considered renting it? All the reviews and advice will help but there's nothing like hands on. I still rent before I buy even with the research in consideration.

That seems like alot of money for a college student to spend. I recommend to satisfy the theory and satisfy the lab work(hands on).

Well i spend much of my money on my camera gear anyway--so no big deal. And if i sell me 80-200 for about 700-800, that will offset a lot of the cost.

The 70-200 VRI is a great lens, BUT, if you've already got an 80-200 which is also a darn fine piece of glass, why do you want to change? IMO, that's not a huge upgrade for the cost, maybe look to something more like a 300mm f4. FWIW, $1800 is WAYYYYYYYYYY too much to pay for a VRI now; keep an eye on Craig's List; I wouldn't go a cent over $1400, and that for one in mint condition.

How long will it take to make that much money for you? If it's like a few gigs worth, then I say it's well worth it. I am speaking not just on this lens specifically, but gears in general.

Buying off of ebay is safer than craigslist imo. Paypal is very good about resolving disputes. Plus, as long as the seller has good feedback and a decent amount of sales, the description is generally pretty friggin accurate. I've bought over 40 things on ebay this year for a total of like $2,000 and haven't had an issue with a single purchase.

You can also check on KEH.com to see what they have. They are really reliable, but if you want to return the lens, you got to do it with 7 days of the invoice. They are in Atlanta and when I was in s.Florida, I received my lens from them in about 3 days.

The 70-200 VRI is a great lens, BUT, if you've already got an 80-200 which is also a darn fine piece of glass, why do you want to change? IMO, that's not a huge upgrade for the cost, maybe look to something more like a 300mm f4. FWIW, $1800 is WAYYYYYYYYYY too much to pay for a VRI now; keep an eye on Craig's List; I wouldn't go a cent over $1400, and that for one in mint condition.

I feel like the AF is slower than i expected, and it hunts sometimes--lots of missed focus on soccer players running at me. I oughta try the 70-200 first, but thats EVEN more money.

The AF-S focusing protocol is **entirely*** different from the screw-driven "AF" protocol...like night and day in how they work. AF-S can accurately compute the EXACT, need focing distance, and drive the lens exactly to that precise distance in one, single operation, with no back-and-forth. The old "AF" system uses a series of back-and-forth comparisons..."dzzit-dzitt-dzit-dzit" to hit focus on a tricky target....AF-S works entirely differently. it tends to go "dzzit". LOCK! For sports, the 80-200 D has a focus switch, and there is no manual focus override...that can cost you shots...with the AF-S lenses, just grab the focusing ring...any time...

The VR I can focus on track and field athletes coming down the runway, planting the pole vault pole, and moving up and toward the camera, and pull focus on 9- and 10-frame sequences from 35 meters to 6 meters, time after time...same with triple jump and long jump...AF- and AF-D lenses are nowhere near as good at continuous, rapid follow focusing. AF-S is not only faster, it is "smarter", and it is more reliable and consistent and dependable. $1,800 is too much money, but the lens is a very worthwhile upgrade over the older-tech D-series models. PM me if you might be interested in an 80-200 AF-S for $995.

Buying off of ebay is safer than craigslist imo. Paypal is very good about resolving disputes. Plus, as long as the seller has good feedback and a decent amount of sales, the description is generally pretty friggin accurate. I've bought over 40 things on ebay this year for a total of like $2,000 and haven't had an issue with a single purchase.
I buy a LOT of stuff through eBay, but lenses I like to put my hands on first. I'd much rather have hands-on first and try it out, and, if necessary walk away.

I buy a LOT of stuff through eBay, but lenses I like to put my hands on first. I'd much rather have hands-on first and try it out, and, if necessary walk away.

That's what i'm thinking.

That's what i'm thinking.

To Each his own. I've never bought a lens over $500 on ebay, but I wouldn't hesitate if I found a good deal from a reputable seller.

I purchased my 70-200 VR1 this summer for 1000 from a friend. I had to replace the locking knob for the ring and the sticky grippy part so I got a good deal and it was from someone I knew. But it works great. Yes focussing is a bit slower but not so much that it bothers me at all.

Most reactions

Back