Nifty 50 Help.

Mena

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im in the market for a 50mm. Reading reviews and watching some videos from Digitalrevcom on the youtubes I've narrowed it down to the Canon and Sigma 50mm 1.4. Sadly the 1.2L glass is out of my price range for the time being. I was hoping to get some feed back from anyone who uses these two or either one of these lenses. The price difference between the 2 isnt an issue. Thanks in advance guys.

Have you thought about the Zeiss lens?

I had but its slightly out of the price range for now

I don't have experience with the Sigma, but the Canon 50 1.4 is both the sharpest and cheapest glass I own. A little long for general purpose use on a crop body, but quite dreamy on FF.

I've used both Canon and Sigma 50mm F1.4. I personally liked the sigma more. That being said I actually owned a 50 1.4 Canon and only test drove my friend's 50 1.4 Sigma. The sigma appeared sharper wide open and the colors were nicer, bokeh was also smoother, and focusing was good. My complaint about the sigma is more personal preference I don't like the way it looks or feels very much, and it's a tad heavy for a 50 1.4, but otherwise it was very good.

But if budget is an issue either one will do the job pretty well and the canon is significantly cheaper.

Thanks Fazz, the price between these two is not an issue. Ive heard and read that the sigma produces smoother bokeh also. Let me ask you, how did you like the build quality and the focus ring on the sigma compared to your Canon?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thierry if you can post that up, I would be interested in reading it.

The build was honestly very good, nice solid feel, good weight, you just have to get over the finish on the lens the matte black kind of look is mehh. The focus ring was not to my liking but that's more because I'm use to silky smooth manual focus Leica lenses.

Most reactions

Back