Nifty Fifty?

Ediacol

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Someone had advised me a good buy would be a nifty fifty, I was wondering if I should just buy the body & the nifty fifty or buy the camera with the standard 18mm lens or whatever it comes with? This is my first DSLR so I have no idea what to buy, I know I've seen alot of people end up not using their kit lens for very long.

Also, this is it right? I'm purchasing a Canon t2i.

2514A002 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Standard AutoFocus Lens - USA

I'd suggest getting the lens that comes with the camera...the 18-55mm IS.

After using that lens for a while, you will have a much better idea what you may want as your next lens. You may want something with a wider view, you may want something with a narrower view (more reach), you may want something with the same range, but higher quality, or you may just want a lens with a larger maximum aperture (for faster shutter speeds and a shallower Depth of Field).

If I were you, I'd get the camera and the kit lens (the 18-55mm) AND the 50mm f1.8. The reasoning is because since you stated you're a beginner, the 18-55 gives you a little room to learn and play on. You can learn a lot with that kit lens, about how aperture/shutter speed/ISO/focal length generally work. The 50mm f1.8 is a great addition to that. Good luck!

I'd suggest getting the lens that comes with the camera...the 18-55mm IS.

After using that lens for a while, you will have a much better idea what you may want as your next lens. You may want something with a wider view, you may want something with a narrower view (more reach), you may want something with the same range, but higher quality, or you may just want a lens with a larger maximum aperture (for faster shutter speeds and a shallower Depth of Field).

This too!

Yea, if you can afford the 50 of the jump go for it, chances are you'll wind up with one anyway.

we went with the kit and a used 50. got it for 60 bucks.

so we have both options, but didnt break the bank to do it.

and to buy the kit lens, everyone charges a fortune. or never sells it.

it was cheaper for me to get the body with lens, versus separately.

Thank you guys! I think I will go with the kit & then try to find a used fifty!

I've got a T3i with the kit lens and a 50 1.4. Between the two lenses I feel like I have plenty to work with. I think you will be happy with your decision. Using the 50 has taught me quite a bit about how aperture effects the DOF.

Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Lens Review: 5. Conclusion & samples: Digital Photography Review

Conclusion - Pros
  • Excellent image quality when stopped down
  • Essentially no lateral chromatic aberration
  • Extremely cheap

Conclusion - Cons
  • Extremely cheaply built
  • Harsh and distracting bokeh due to pentagonal aperture
  • Vignetting at wide apertures on full frame (which only disappears at F3.5)
  • Inconsistent autofocus in low light (most problematic when using large apertures)
There are pros, and cons.

I'd get the kit lens so you can experience different focal lengths. Sometimes the 50mm is a tad too long. I like to shoot the kids indoors and our stupid house has interior walls that love to compete with my 50mm lens.

It would sounds like a good idea to get both. I would rather not get the kit lens and the nifty and rather buy the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8. Either way would be fine but I rather get the Tamron.

Just go ahead and buy a 50. They are cheap and make good portraits. Dont know if you intend to do lots of portraits but it is nice to have to do shots of family and friends and you will have a lens that has almost a full range of aperture to work with. if you can find a sweet deal like naptime I would say its silly not to buy the thing. But I used the kit lens exclusively for about the first 18 months I had my dslr. But the first lens upgrades I made were to by a 50mm and a 70-200mm zoom. Have not regretted buying either.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back