Night HDR Part 2

carlcosby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good evening / morning all,

I want to have a go with night HDR soon, im going to London so hopefully I will get some good stuff. What I would like to know is, where do I start? Do I go with AEB or manual? Do I need to be in bulb mode? If so how long do I let it run to get a normal exposure? If bracketing, how do I acquire my normal exposure then bracket from that point? I'm a bit confused with the amount of information I am reading, it's loads. I hope somebody here can help me out with their own experiences, I'm still in the dark (pun intended) with it all 

Thanks a lot in advance for any help 

I have a Canon 7d if that info helps and a tripod too.

Sent from my iPhone using PhotoForum

You start with what would be your "normal" exposure. You want your exposure to be in middle of your total number of exposures so you will have to pick an fstop that will give you that range of shutter speeds. In my Fuji camera after finding the "normal" settings, I would click 3 times for shutter speed which was the equivalent of 1 fstop. So 9 clicks to the left gave me -3 fstop. Then I take the first shot, 3 clicks to the right, next shot, 3 more clicks and Im at the "normal" position and shoot. Then 3 more and shoot, 3 more and shoot and the last 3 more and Im at +3 fstops. You are only changing your shutter speed. Once you have your fstop set, leave it alone. You might have to adjust your ISO to a higher number if shooting at night. Ideally use the lowest ISO number you can. Try for a f8 if possible. Your fstop will give you depth of field, and your ISO will give you the shutter speeds you need.

Hi, thanks for the reply! I'm still confused so it looks like I will be reading some more... Thanks again, Regards

Most reactions

Back