Night Photography in the Woods Curiosity.....

Lonnie1212

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Folks,

Has anyone ever done night photography in the woods? I have been thinking about trying it tonight. There is a wooded area in a wildlife preserve nearby. I have a Nikon D610 and a D3200. Have thought about taking one of the two out for a test. Will be using an 18-105 mm lens on the D3200 and a 18-35 on the D610. It will be a learning experience.

Curious to know the opinions and experiences of other people.

Thank you,

Lonnie

Bring a sturdy tripod, shutter release, and read up on mirror lockup. Just use the D610. It has everything you need for this. Not sure your other one has mirror lockup... The D610 allows for higher ISO image quality, plus mirror lockup will help for a sharp image.

Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor | D610

Last edited:
No help here, but I look forward to seeing how it goes.

Are you shooting wildlife or landscape or both?

You can also try what's called "light painting". You take a flashlight and point it for a second or longer at something that maybe you want to stand out or you can point it at the ground and let the ambient light do it's thing. The more light the more it is bright and you can leave other areas untouched and darker to create more depth. Experiment and play around, the results will give you ideas.

Bring a sturdy tripod, shutter release, and read up on mirror lockup. Just use the D610. It has everything you need for this. Not sure your other one has mirror lockup... The D610 allows for higher ISO image quality, plus mirror lockup will help for a sharp image.

Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor | D610

Thank you very much for the advice on mirror lock up. I just watched a video on the subject. I will have to give it a try.

Are you shooting wildlife or landscape or both?

I would do landscape or wildlife. But have seen some very impressive night photos of wooded areas. It is mainly of leafless trees and skyline.

I went out in the woods at 12:30 AM last night. It was so dark I couldn't get anything done. My flashlight batteries went dead. The wooded area was so dark that I couldn't see the trail. There are too many leaves on the trees right now. I hope to try this fall or winter when the trees are leafless. Have seen internet pictures of wooded areas at night. They tend to have haunted or mysterious appearance. That is what I am hoping to achieve.

I went out in the woods at 12:30 AM last night. It was so dark I couldn't get anything done. My flashlight batteries went dead. The wooded area was so dark that I couldn't see the trail. There are too many leaves on the trees right now. I hope to try this fall or winter when the trees are leafless. Have seen internet pictures of wooded areas at night. They tend to have haunted or mysterious appearance. That is what I am hoping to achieve.

You need a bigger, better flashlight

Most reactions

Back