Night shooting tips!

reissigree

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay guys, I'm going to try to take my first night landscape picture of the sky over the lake tonight. What should I be expecting? My guess would be to set the aperture as low as it can go (widest) Sorry, I'm still trying to figure out all of the terms lol. Set the shutter speed to 30 seconds, and determine the iso from there. I'll post pictures tonight! Thanks!

Are you using a tripod? if you are, you don't necessarily need to shoot wide open, and perhaps you should not. I would recommend using whatever aperture is sharpest for your particular lens, and adjust exposure time accordingly. Even ISO could be kept low as long as the camera is stationary. As for shutter speed, you'll just have to try a few to see what works.

Yes I will be. I have the Nikkor 18-55mm lens. What would you suggest for that?

No don't set aperture low, you need a tripod... Not much of a landscape shot with a wide open aperture.

youtube or google search "night photography techniques".

there is a plethora of info and video examples of how-to

The lens doesn't matter (but you SHOULD be using a wide-angle, as you are, for landscape). Like I said before, tripod + mid-range or high f-stop + low iso + long exposure duration should do the trick. You'll just have to experiment with the latter. Once you try it out you will probably understand the issues - try a few things, take notes, and compare!

Yes I will be. I have the Nikkor 18-55mm lens. What would you suggest for that?

use a tri-pod and if possible wait for a full moon or a well lit night.

use a tri-pod and if possible wait for a full moon or a well lit night.

Why would he wait for well lit, doesn't that depend on what he's shooting? I shoot these type night pics all the time without waiting on any special conditions.

20110528-DSC_0088.jpg

20110528-DSC_0065.jpg

You're on your way with those pics!

Thanks, Mine are just average too as I'm a nooB. As long as the tripod holds the camera still it won't negatively impact the pics. Also I use the timer or an IR remote instead of shaking the tripod when i take the pic.

Leave the ISO at 100 because you're on a tripos anyway, and play with fstops of around f11-f18, I seem to get the starburst look and clearer buildings around in that range.

But again I'm a nooB and photo student at the local university learning too
bigthumb.gif

OP: Tips:

Tripod, trigger, wide aperture, as high an ISO as you can get w/o grain, long shutter speed.

Photos:

#1 Good photo technically, not the most interesting composition
#2 I like it, but the subject seems OOF to me.

As a nightime newbie, try reading this basic guide. It doesn't cover everything, or go into great detail, but does give you an overview that may help when you have your first stab at it! Good Luck!

OP: Tips:

Tripod, trigger, wide aperture, as high an ISO as you can get w/o grain, long shutter speed.

Photos:

#1 Good photo technically, not the most interesting composition
#2 I like it, but the subject seems OOF to me.

Unless the shutter speed is more than 5 minutes, I wouldn't bump up the ISO because it reduces dynamic range and causes the moon to be blown out. I wouldn't go for anything wider than f/5.6 unless I don't have a near foreground.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back