Night Shot - Happy New Year

DadOf2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.deputyct.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So here I am...2:20 on New Years 2008, everyone has crashed so I went out to play w/ my camera. Here's a 30 second exposure of my crib. The stars decided to make an appearance over the roof.

nighthouse.jpg

Holy crap Ls3D you're spot on w/ the shadow. Didn't even see that.

Did you tweak the tone on that shot? I like what you did but I was diggin' the warm (almost fire) I saw in the original. Made me think there might be a raging fire across the street or something.

I do like what you did though w/ it though.

Hey Sideburns,
Naw that's my girlfriend's stang but thanks. I got 2 kids so that car would be a little cramped for my needs I think. :)
Cheers!

I like em both too. I did a bunch of things to your capture, but was mostly interested in WB 'correction' - to use the term loosely. The shadow was only obvious during an experimental (temporary) contrast adjustment layer. The bug spray or whatever it is was also brushed out.

I wonder if a higher ISO (assuming digital) would bring up the stars.

-Shea

Good call on the ISO.

I'm a little leery of high ISO after some shots I took down in Key West at a wedding recently. I didn't realized but I was set at about 800 or more (don't recall). Anyway I didn't notice until I downloaded the images but the point and shoot I was using left the images really grainy.

Thanks jchan. Yea I'm thinking I need to get over my ISO phobia and turn it loose. :)

I didn't realize the stars were even there until I downloaded the pic. I shot the moon the night I got my Nikon and was impressed with myself until I saw some that others have on on TPF. There are some unreal night shots on this site. Lots of talent (and equipment).

The long exposure noise reduction works pretty good on my 40D, perhaps even better than post noise reduction in PS.

Very photogenic house, nice that you can just step outside and shoot her! So if you are up tonight, and it is clear...

-S

Thats awesome how you were able to catch the stars. I have tried myself but they never come out. Great work.

Hey oldnavy,
The stars were kind of an accident. :) I had my camera set for a 30 second exposure. I just realized I had my ISO set to 100. I really need to learn to check everything before I shoot from now on. Here's what I had things set at:
Nikon D40X
2008/01/01 01:53:14.6
JPEG (8-bit) Fine
Image Size: Large (2592 x 3872)
Color
Lens: 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 G
Focal Length: 18mm
Exposure Mode: Manual
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
30 sec - F/3.5
Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 100
Optimize Image: Normal
White Balance: Shade +3
AF Mode: AF-A
Flash Sync Mode:
Flash Mode:
Auto Flash Comp:
Color Mode: Mode IIIa (sRGB)
Tone Comp.: Auto
Hue Adjustment: 0°
Saturation: Auto
Sharpening: Auto
Image Comment:
Long Exposure NR: On
VR Control: Off
High ISO NR: Off

Very photogenic house, nice that you can just step outside and shoot her! So if you are up tonight, and it is clear...
-S

Ha Ls! I'll pass on your compliment to her. :lol:

you should of saved this shot for the January challenge ;)

of course you could always re-shoot it (lose the mustang), and submit that :)

Most reactions

Back