Night shots with flash..

dyyylan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I'm starting a new project for myself to do some night time nature shots with a flash to make the branches and things really stand out. I was wondering if anyone has ever done this and has any advice toward making them more interesting, or tech advice for focusing, flash positioning, etc. These were shot just with my on-camera flash, but I'm getting an sb-600 and a stand pretty soonish so I'll be able to move the lighting around. Also bringing a flashlight next time so I can focus a little better... But yeah, here's what I got so far, out of about 60 other lame shots:

4277490023_37acbf682b_o.jpg

Thought this was cool because it looks like a hand reaching toward the light. Bumped flash power to about 1/4 just for a little extra on the branches since there was a light right next to it already.

4278236360_83fd9e84b0_o.jpg

Full power, almost pitch black without the flash.

Both were shot somewhere around 1/3 second handheld (yay VR)

I first thought you were in a jungle or something but then I looked at the other elements of the photo :). Well I like it, although the subject isn't shomething outstanding. I like the color one more than the black and white one, because well...the black and white one isn't as eye catching :-?
The quality of the photos is good for shooting with flash at night.

The first photo is very obviously a flash photo.

Maybe a technique that would work well would be light painting, get a flashlight, a long exposure (10-20 seconds and then "paint" the subject with the flashlight. It's lots of fun and can get very interesting.

Most reactions

Back