Nightclub Photography

Looks like ya'll have some fun in that club. Love the affect. Wish you would maybe take some of the advice given in the post and try and tone down the skin tones for a more realistic feel. But other than that I totally am diggin' these shots!

thanks for the compliments. as for the "advice", sorry but i prefer if others who have problems with skin tones to just get over it. these photos were shot at nightclubs, not studio. correct flesh tones is the least of my concern. try to respect my artistic vision. i'm not interested in a realistic look. i see nightclubs as a semi-fantasy world; the environment and the way people dress and behave are different than what you see in everyday life. you may disagree but i'm the one who's shooting

Well let me pose you this question. Did you post these photos on this forum to just get compliments to make you feel better about your photography or did you post them on this forum to receive all types of feedback? If you're thinking the first of the two then mission accomplished. But if you were looking for feedback from the members on this forum and trying to become a better photographer and people gave you some critiques and advice why not take it? Rather than tell them to "just get over it". I'm also in no way disrespecting your artistic vision by saying I would like you to possibly try and do something slightly different with your photos. I was simply offering constructive criticism of your photographs as were other people, so there is no need to just blow them off and keep posting photos without atleast acknowledging their thoughts.

you're not the first to make the comment on skin tone so it gets irritating to hear it over and over again. i appreciate that bit of advice but i'm just not taking it that's all. and why can't i share my photos? is that what photos are for? so to you anyone who share their work is either looking for advice or compliments?

Last edited:
so to you anyone who share their work is either looking for advice or compliments?

On this website, in this forum, I would say that people posting are looking for discussion, feedback and general critique... as the forum description says.

So posting something in here means you will get feedback, critique and discussion. People will not just let it go. If you disagree with the feedback and critique, I would suggest that you simply ignore the part of the critique and move on.

Just because 95% of people think you should change the skin tones doesn't mean its right. Stick with your vision. I personally really like your explanation about clubs being like a fantasy land and feel that your shots greatly reflect that, even though I don't like the skin tones

:)

thanks for the remark, twinky. it's just that it gets irritating to hear the same criticism over and over again with regard to matter that i'm not too concern of.

That just happens because people are lazy and don't read every post before theirs.

Exactly. I think we are all guilty of this (unless we are the one initially asking for comments). I usually skim through the comments of others and if there is only 1 line of text in the post, I won't read it as I chalk that up to being the typical "I like it!" style posts.

5 and 7 are brilliant.

I actually love 5 and I know a few mates who would love a print like that on their walls.

And off topic but the girl in 3 is just smoking!

i really like all the club photos. the pics show the energy that people have in the club and the POV is perfect because when looking at these photos i felt as though i was in the club. Plus good photo because of all the good looking girls lol

I love your set. I think i sense some intentional camera shake as well. Noticable in the DJ pic. Nice effect. Makes me want to hit the clubs. What lens do you use and what aperature are you usually shooting at?

The last one is really good. You may want to try working on the blur. Maybe your going for that. I would rather see it crisp. :p Good job tho!

Seems like your using a double exposure to get those crazy lights imposed over the scene....either using a double exposure or layering images in photoshop....pretty cool effect, but A LOT of post processing. I also have a hunch that some of them are probably processed HDR's from a single exposure, and alot of High pass filtering and overlaying.

I am a noob and I was thinking the exact same thing... they are nice images, but I am just not buying the "straight off the camera with only my flash" but sorry lol

cool shots but I agree, the orangish tint does nothing for me

ooo, some tough customers here :lol:
but thanks for the warm welcome :no smile:

it's a small club, low ceiling and a lot of lights so I'm shooting at iso 800, f5, 1/5s(except for the dj which was 1/3s). no special filters except for UV. tanning makes some people turn orange and some golden.

Get used to the mediocre personal opinions everyone has on here. Your pictures are sweet.

So to make it clear...you just used the club lights. Do you have any pictures with flash. I'd be curious to see a strobe bounced off that low ceiling.
I think you're getting mediocre and honest opinions mixed up...

I like you're photos, they have kind of an HDR look to them. I like the composition too, nice motion blur :thumbup:

haven't checked this thread for a while so sorry for the delayed response. to all you guys who complimented my pix, thanks a bunch!

i really like all the club photos. the pics show the energy that people have in the club and the POV is perfect because when looking at these photos i felt as though i was in the club. Plus good photo because of all the good looking girls lol

bijdez,
you're the first one who gets it! :thumbup::thumbup:
that's my style and exactly how I want viewers to feel about my pix.

I love your set. I think i sense some intentional camera shake as well. Noticable in the DJ pic. Nice effect. Makes me want to hit the clubs. What lens do you use and what aperature are you usually shooting at?
yes, sometimes i shake my camera intentionally when there's very little ambient light(light guy tends to do that from time to time.) I use a 12-24mm, f4.

[Dillz];1807069 said:
The last one is really good. You may want to try working on the blur. Maybe your going for that. I would rather see it crisp. :p Good job tho!
Dillz,
Are you talking about the background blur? I'm sorry but you would have to ask other club photogs to fulfill your request. I personally don't like crisp background. I like my lights to behave in ways that are against the law of physics. to me controlling the capture and movement of light with my camera is art. so crisp is boring.

Seems like your using a double exposure to get those crazy lights imposed over the scene....either using a double exposure or layering images in photoshop....pretty cool effect, but A LOT of post processing. I also have a hunch that some of them are probably processed HDR's from a single exposure, and alot of High pass filtering and overlaying.

I am a noob and I was thinking the exact same thing... they are nice images, but I am just not buying the "straight off the camera with only my flash" but sorry lol

:er: excuse me Kimberly81 but since when did I mention these images are soc? if you read the entire thread you'd know that I pp my photos that gives them an HDR look.

more new ones. more at http://NightlifeXtion.com

Club%20Pic%20077.jpg

Club%20Pic%20049.jpg

Club%20Pic%20042.jpg

Club%20Pic%20009.jpg

Club%20Pic%20064.jpg

Club%20Pic%20035.jpg

Club%20Pic%20050.jpg

Most reactions

Back