Nightclub Photography

Don't buy a cheap flash. At some point, you will want to get a more expensive one.

Don't buy a cheap flash. At some point, you will want to get a more expensive one.

I don't really have the money and I need one now :/

Actually, I would buy a cheap flash. You can do a lot with manual flash. Look for a used Vivitar 285HV, or even one of the random Chinese flashes, with similar output. You don't get TTL metering control, they recycle pretty slowly, the build quality leaves something to be desired, no auto zoom, or any other fancy crap like that.

But, they have good output, they are cheap, great for off camera flash, lightweight, very portable, and they come in handy all the time. They will work just fine manually with the second curtain setting on your camera. In a club, your exposure is not going to change much, as long as your subject is about the same distance form the camera, from shot to shot.

I like to keep a 285HV, cheap wireless triggers, a super clamp, and a few ball bungee cords handy. This combo is pretty inexpensive, and can be extremely useful.

A good cheap flash is a nice budget way to start, then when you want something nicer, buy it and add to your lighting collection. That cheap flash will still come in handy often as a slave, or second light source, back light/hair light, backup, or as an accent with a snoot. The uses are limitless.

You'd be fine with big twinky's suggestion - the SB 600. A simple 18-55mm lens would be just fine, and wide enough ... also a versatile enough lens that you can use elsewhere, outside the nightclub. You can use your pop-up flash along with the SB while dragging the shutter ... the SB 600 can be set to optical slave, so your pop-up flash will trigger the SB to fire at the exact moment that your pop-up flash fires (rather than using a flash gun). You can either hold the SB in your hand and direct the light, or mount it elsewhere to bounce light, or direct the light anywhere you want to. Find a second-hand lens, and perhaps even a second-hand SB flash ... you'd be far better off with more versatile equipment. RyanLilly's suggestion about the Vivitar 285HV is also great -- I've had one in my bag for 15 years, and it's still firing away ... my only issue with this flash, in your case, is that this flash can not work in auto mode (though as Ryan points out, this would not be an issue in a club where your exposures will likely remain consistent). The Vivitar is definitely another good, cheaper option ... but not as "user friendly" as the less-antiquated Nikon SBs.

It has been a while since the last post on here ... have you worked out your issues? How are the nightclub shoots going now?

Last edited:
Yes, you would want to get a cheap one for off camera flash, but i really wouldn't recomend a cheap one for a main flash.

Hiya! I've been working two jobs, so not much time for the computer sadly! I got some photos this weekend and tried dragging the shutter, I personally, don't like the photos.
I've attached one, as I've not approved the logo with my boss yet so don't want to go saving all the photos with the logo lol

5527119452_ecd26f1534_b.jpg

The facebook photo you linked to looks like it was taken with flash bounced off the ceiling - ie a hot shoe flash like an SB-600 pointed towards a white ceiling to turn the whole ceiling into a light source. Not so ideal for close-quarters face shots as it gives weird looking shadows.

Sorry to revive an old topic but there is some information here that is inaccurate (only read the first few posts)

1. Don't second curtain shutter.
The reason I say that is; Most people will assume the first flash is the photograph done, then move.
You can acheive the same results with the first curtain flash.

2. Your camera settings are not-necessary for exposing the people.
The people are exposed by the flash, the camera shutter speed and iso etc are simply to acheive background lighting.

3. Aperture remains the same (controls the DOF)

I have just recently done my first nightclub photoshoot (look in the people forum to find it.) and feel I done fairly well with it.
It landed me a job in a nightclub photography business so :)

here is a good source to look at: Nightclub Photography Tips & Nightlife Photography | Nightclub Photography TV

P.s. I used my 18-55mm kit lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back