Nightime "Up-North": C&C/Advice Wanted

WhiskeyTango

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've got a mental image of the shot I'd like to take. The weather didn't cooperate this weekend, but I started to play with the concept to figure out the lighting.

Here's the 1st test image:

This is (2) SB-700's at 1/2 power. One is behind the house on the left aimed at the far right corner of the barn. The 2nd is camera right pointed at the house.

Here's the 2nd test image:

This is same lighting setup, gelled with full CTO and WB set to tungsten

Here's the 3rd test image:

This time the garage light has been moved to camera left (in front of the house). It's also flagged to avoid some spill, but I'm still lighting the tree more than I want and altering in post.

The 1st two images are pretty much SOoC. The last is moderately PP'd.

The image I eventually want to get will have a starry sky, and I'd really like to soften up the light on the barn. I'd also like to light a stand of trees in the open space between the house and barn.

In addition to the SB-700's used here, I have an Einstein available. I didn't use any modifiers (other than the gels) in these shots. I have multiple umbrellas, a 30x40 softbox, and a striplight available. I'm also open to picking up something else.

Please give me some input/suggestions.

Consider multiple shots composited later. Here's a strobist blog about Mike Kelley, who does very nice architectural stuff with that method:

Strobist: Michael Kelley: Two-Speedlight Architectural Photography

Here's an interesting video of his work in progress:

Another couple of vids from another very successful compositer:

This software can help you a lot with final compositing by allowing you to control the light from each layer of the composite:

HDR ReLight

Last edited by a moderator:
Consider multiple shots composited later. Here's a strobist blog about Mike Kelley, who does very nice architectural stuff with that method:

Strobist: Michael Kelley: Two-Speedlight Architectural Photography

Here's an interesting video of his work in progress:

Another couple of vids from another very successful compositer:

This software can help you a lot with final compositing by allowing you to control the light from each layer of the composite:

HDR ReLight

Compositing crossed my mind, and I'm open to it. It's something I haven't played with yet, and maybe this would be a good chance to learn. I've got LR and Elements... I may need to take the plunge in the near future and pick up PS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back