Nightmare shoot, unhappy customer, advice please!

No refund. Reshoot at your studio only. Do when you want at your availability, not hers. Give in to nothing. Set up a video camera, show it to her and explain in front of the camera that if she cannot control her children during this attempt, the photo shoot is over immediately. There will be no refund, no further attempts will be made to get the photos she needs. The video will be posted on your website. If necessary, it will be used in court if she attempts to bad mouth your service again. If she agrees, try the shoot - otherwise tell her to forget it.

Next time something like this happens, stop immediately, return the money an get out of dodge.

Given the info you've shared, my response would be to have a final conversation to her where you explain your position, and the areas where she has committed pretty serious ethical violations. I'd make it very clear that any bad-mouthing she attempts to do will be documented and she will be taken to court.

(obviously, you're not actually going to do that, but for most people just the genuine threat is enough to get them to bugger off).

As for a refund, or a reshoot? No. She cost herself the potential of those kind considerations when she was a b***h with you.

First off, how high quality were the proofs you sent her? I understand you sent her proofs, but maybe next time make sure you're not sending high-res jpgs she can use to print. Or use a site like Zenfolio where she can see but not download the pictures.

Second off lawyers are very, very expensive. Probably they can be helpful, but will it be worth the cost? And if she lawyers up as well, and you end up with a legal fight on your hands, well, are you prepared to pay thousands of dollars in legal fees?

Third, most of what other people said is true. Sometimes customers just aren't worth the hassle.

Most reactions

Back