Nik Silver Efex Pro

ronlane

What's next?
Reaction score
Website
www.lane-images.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I downloaded the Nik software to test this weekend and after a day of playing with it, I decided that I had to have it, so I paid for it. WOW. I went back to some old photos and used the silver efex to do B&W conversions on them to see how they would come out versus how I converted them. It was no contest, I really like the nik conversion.

Between that and the dfine to reduce the noise on some dark photos, I am sold. Still have a lot to learn about the software, but its just more fun to learn.

Did you get the whole collection? I have been using Nik software for a few years now and it is very very cool. A while back I had to restore my computer and lost my license key. I emailed them to reactivate it and I was offered the whole collection at no charge. I have been playing around with all the other plug ins and they are very very cool. Color Efex is what I had been using for a few years and now I know I will be incorporating the others as well...

Cool to see another Silver Efex user

Yep... bought the collection way before Google bought them and recently did an update. The update included the the new analog plugin plus the plugins for photoshop. They also dropped the price.

Yep... bought the collection way before Google bought them and recently did an update. The update included the the new analog plugin plus the plugins for photoshop. They also dropped the price.

I thought it came with the M9

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

I bought the NIK software bundle a few weeks ago and it has been amazing. For the less computer inclined it does much of the work for you. All I have to do is play with the settings slightly. Only problem that I am running into is that there is far too many options and combinations are infinite. It is going to take a lot of practice and trial/error to find the right "recipe".

I thought it came with the M9

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

M9 came with Lightroom. MM came with nik software silverfx pro in addition to LR.

Silver Efex Pro is a great tool. I have tested it against other popular B&W conversion software (Alien Skin, Topaz) and it beats both hands down, IMO. You can create all of the same looks in Photoshop, but Silver Efex makes it so much easier. I got the whole suite for free a while back, before Google bought it, when it was more expensive. I'm glad it's more affordable now.

I really don't use much besides Silver Efex, though. I'm not into HDR. I correct noise in Camera raw. There are a few filters on Color Efex that I will occasionally use, like Dynamic skin softener for portraits and image borders. Viveza can be very useful for finishing touches, although I'm not too crazy about how it brightens an image. I do use the shadow, contrast, and structure adjustments occasionally. I never use the sharpening filter as I prefer a subtle high pass for sharpening. Eventually, you'll figure out which tools fit best into your workflow.

Congrats and enjoy your new software! :)

Did you get the whole collection? I have been using Nik software for a few years now and it is very very cool. A while back I had to restore my computer and lost my license key. I emailed them to reactivate it and I was offered the whole collection at no charge. I have been playing around with all the other plug ins and they are very very cool. Color Efex is what I had been using for a few years and now I know I will be incorporating the others as well...

Yes, I got the whole bundle, I am still learning how to use them all but I like them. Dfine and Silver are the two that I'm liking at this time.

I'm very jealous. That is definitely on my to-buy list.

I have tried the Analog set but everything I end up with looks like fake-y crap.

I agree many of the analog-specific filters are over-the-top. I rarely use them, and just stick with the digital conversions. Many of those are also too over-the-top for me, but there are a few I really like.

Yes, I got the whole bundle, I am still learning how to use them all but I like them. Dfine and Silver are the two that I'm liking at this time.
Nik software is excellent. I really like it. Very user friendly and so many options.

Nik software is excellent. I really like it. Very user friendly and so many options.

Kathy, do you use it with LR or with CC or with PSE?

Most reactions

Back