nikkon d70 vs. Nikkon d100

photo girl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
How does the Nikon d70 compare to the d100? What makes one better then the other?

The only thing that the D70 lacks that the D100 has is a metal body. Just about everything else has been improved on the D70 since the technology is 2 years newer.

The lowest ISO is 200 because that is the lowest optimal sensativity for that particular sensor. Anything lower would have not gained any quality in noise.

in my opinion the D100 has two advantages for the D70, the build quality, like voodoocat said the D100 has a metal body and also you can get a verticle shuter release and grip for the D100 and not for the D70 :(

Is the metal body that big of a deal for an average Joe? I'm not really going to shoot on location for National Geographic. I'll admit the verticle grip would be nice but sooner or later it could be had.

For the price difference and the added features it's a great buy.

Skyeg said:
in my opinion the D100 has two advantages for the D70, the build quality, like voodoocat said the D100 has a metal body and also you can get a verticle shuter release and grip for the D100 and not for the D70 :(

you forgot one MLU that is a must have on the next firm ware upgrade or someone needs to hack it. It is a simple thing but I want it so much!!!!

Not for taking pictures... only for cleaning the sensor. It'll have to be a firmware hack since Nikon said they have no plans to add a MLU. They claim the mirror goes before the shutter eliminating the need for MLU.

OK so being a bit of an ignoramus here, what can you do with MLU for taking photos?

Well with MLU, once you compose the image you lock the mirror to prevent any blurring caused by vibrations when the mirror slaps the camera housing.

Ah, I see. You've planted a germ of paranoia about mirror vibration in me now.

<runs off to test camera mirror vibration>

I don't think you'll see it. The mirror should move when you press the shutter release a split second before the curtain actually opens.

Photo girl if you want a straight comparision in specifications then you can go here.

As been mentioned the D70 is a newer technology that has improved on what the D100 can do. I've been told that the anti-aliasing filter is reduced on the D70 which creates sharper pictures. The stronger the anti-aliasing is the softer your pictures will be.

The D70 also has a higher flash sync (1/500 compared to 1/180 on the D100). Even the new Canon 20D only has 1/250. A fast flash sync is very useful for freezing motion while providing fill flash. It allows you more diversity in the type of pictures you can take. The D70 also has a very fast 1/8000 max shutter speed which allows you to use wider apertures without using a neutral density filter. You should really read the review at dpreview to find out more.

Also the metal body isn't really a big issue because the D70's plastic body isn't the usual flimsy cheap plastic found on some cameras. You really have to hold one to feel the difference. It feels solidly built and there have been reports of Nikon owners dropping their cameras without any problems. The lighter weight is also a plus especially if you have to hike or carry your camera all day.

It is true that the D70 is missing a vertical grip but at least for me that's okay because I never liked vertical grips anyway. It adds too much bulk to the camera, in my opinion. What I do miss is the larger viewfinder on the D100, but it's not worth trading for a D70 in my opinion. If you are willing to wait, Nikon should be coming out with a D100 replacement.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back