nikkor 18-140

vandalismo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just bought nikkor 18-140 VR as daily kit lens. To be honest I am not very happy with the IQ. I tough it might be, because of the relatively unexpensive filter I put. I removed the filter today and the result was the same. I was expecting a lot sharper photos from this lens. ANy body experience with this? Honestly, my old Tamron 18-200 which I paid 150 euro new, was delivering a lot better result

here some photos I took today, no filter, no edit

Attachments

• DSC_0038_00001_01.jpg
    DSC_0038_00001_01.jpg
    790.8 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC_0039_00002_01.jpg
    DSC_0039_00002_01.jpg
    700 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC_0040_00003_01.jpg
    DSC_0040_00003_01.jpg
    668.9 KB · Views: 164
Does your camera body offer AF fine-tuning?

its hard to tell because theres a lot of stuff in those photos, but it looks like it could be a bit of missed focus or back focusing.

that last shot is 12,800 ISO. I'm sure your camera is adding tons of noise reduction and making the image look like such mush.

it does look pretty soft overall. even at the 18mm shot.

Does your camera body offer AF fine-tuning?
No I don't have aF tune. It is nikon d5600
You should test each component independently from the other. Test the lens by mounting it on another Nikon body. Ask to perform this test with anybody who has a Nikon and will let you do the test.

If you find someone who is willing to help you, ask to mount one of their lenses on your camera. It should not matter a great deal which lens, because you are trying to determine if your camera has any auto-focusing issues.

If you find that your camera needs adjusting, send it to a Nikon facility. If it is the lens, buy a different lens.

What braineak said

I will also add that it is virtually impossible to design a lens with that kind of extreme zoom range that is properly corrected. Next time break it up into something like 3 zoom lenses.

yes, the iso indeed is high(shot it automatic)
here one on the street the other day with ISO 200...with my cheap Tamron 18-200 i was getting sharper photos.

Attachments

• DSC_0004_00001.jpg
    DSC_0004_00001.jpg
    725.8 KB · Views: 124
Nikon 18-140mm is Nikon's latest kit lens, it should be plenty sharp for most use, if yours isn't sharp enough and you cant AF tune it then take it to Nikon service centre and tell them lens needs calibration. I did that when I bought my Tamron lens, when I got the lens back it was tack sharp, never had an issue with it since.

honestly doesn't look that much sharper to me. can you shoot them side by side with the same settings?

Print out a focus test chart and test. It will tell you a lot about a lens. If there is an issue, you can submit these to Nikon when you send it in.

I use the 18-140 mm as my walk around lens. When I first started shooting it, the images didn't look quite up to par, but when I run them through DXO Optics Pro lens/camera correction, they look great. This would seem to indicate there is something in the design of the lens that is causing the problem, but I haven't heard a lot of complaints about the sharpness of this lens compared to comparable lenses.

Change your focus settings to single-point.

Most reactions

Back