Nikkor 18-35G vs. 24-85G

Decisions, decisions. If it were me I would be greatly tempted to purchase both. I have a Tamron 17-35 f/2.8~4;that was designed for aps-c.that wide angle zoom has served me quite well. The 18 to 35 is a beautiful lens and I can understand why you might be tempted by it. I almost purchased one used about 5 years ago.

I think you have the perfect lens kit for a z system. I've been studying the 24-85 and really wanted to like it, but it seems to not be that good ant 24 or 85 so that limits its usefulness, but I've not actually shot w/ it in real world situation.[/QUOTE]

Hummmm... I doubt this seriously. I get to play with most of the Nikkor lenses and this has NEVER been an issue. Not sure where your information comes from, but I too would like to see this as well.

Cordially,

Mark

I went a different direction than a zoom lens and purchased a Nikkor 28mm f1.8G lens for my walk around do everything lens. I've used a 35mm for so long I felt I needed a change. Leica uses the 28mm on their fixed lens cameras so I figured I could give this focal length a try too.

Last edited:
The 1990s made 28 mm to 80 mm afd is quite an amazing performer, despite its dreadful plasticy build quality. It has a plastic mount and a wobbly front extension barrel and costs around $35 on the used market. This was Nikon's for film cameras in the 1990s. The G series model is a different optical formula and it's not quite as sharp.

The 24 mm to 85 mm afsg lens with VR was Nikon's kit zoom for the Nikon d600 and for a time was free with the last of the d600 bodies,right before the d610 introduction, and as a result sometimes you will find these being sold at very low prices because the original owners have zero invested in it
I have a 28-80 afd that was a kit lens for a Nikon AF 35mm I got back in the 90's. I looks and feels like a piece of crap but it is as sharp and contrasty as my 24-70 f/2.8 and it weighs next to nothing.

Most reactions

Back