Nikkor 70-300mm

William

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been looking for a good long lens but kind of cheap; so far I've settled on the Nikkor 70-300mm. I'm wondering how you guys like this lens.
Also, what is the difference between the ED and the not ED version?

Thanks!

depends what you're using it for. I'm assuming that you're getting the f4-5.6. ?

There are three, actually.

The 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 G is the cheap, made-in-China one that sells for about $125 in the US. It's a kit lens that's okay as long as you keep it pretty well stopped down at the longer focal lengths and otherwise don't expect too much of it. There are quite a few of these on Ebay, probably for sale by owners who got them as kit lenses and are ready to step up to something a bit better.

Then, there's the 70-300 f/4-5.6 ED lens that sells for around $325.00, I think. I don't have any experience with this lens, but it's safe to assume that it performs considerably better than the aforementioned cheapo. ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass is a special formulation that reduces chromatic aberrations caused by the fact that different wavelengths of light (colors) converge at different points after being refracted through a lens.

Finally, there's the new (introduced last summer) 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR lens. This one costs around $525 or so and features ED glass, IF (internal focusing, meaning that the lens does not change length as it's focused), and VR vibration reduction technology.

But when shooting in low light, isn't that what ISO is for? If not what is it?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back