Nikkor Q Auto 1:2.8 f=135mm

SoulfulRecover

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Will this lens work on a Nikon FM2?

Unless it has been converted to Ai status, the "fat" aperture ring might possibly damage the Ai coupler tab on an FM2 or FE-2 or other camera that has a fixed, non-hinging, non-flip-up Ai coupler. MANY older lenses of that vintage have been Ai converted, either professionally and "well", or hacked, as in "a bit of the ring filed off".

thanks for the quick responses. I dont think its been converted. If I was to upload a photo would it be something that you would be able to see easily?

It has not been converted. You really should not mount that lens on an FM-2. I used to own that lens; I AI-converted mine myself, with a metal scribe, a file, and some very careful filing.

Thank you for the help. I will look into having it converted. It does not fit my D300 and my D80 (which it did work on) is out the door to a new owner. Only thing for it now is the FM2 or craigslist which I would hate to do.

Oopss... my mistake! :er: I thought 'Q' glass would couple up to an FM2. Sorry, glad Derrel was able to get it right.

Oopss... my mistake! :er: I thought 'Q' glass would couple up to an FM2. Sorry, glad Derrel was able to get it right.

no worries :)

the FM2 is still in the mail somewhere in Arizona :/

The Q-series (and other pre-AI lenses in F-mount) lenses WILL mount and shoot fine on the baby Nikon digitals!!! Cameras like the D3000-serise, D5000-series, and the D40,D40x,and D60 can accept these old "fat ring" lenses, because those bodies lack TWO control interfaces: 1) the Baby Nikon bodies lack the Ai coupling tab at the 1 o'clock position and 2) the Baby Nikons lack the minimum aperture sensing pin, which is located at the 7 o'clock position.

If the minimum aperture sensing pin is sheared off (and it's easily done...) then the camera will "FEE out" and you'll be hosed. So,on something like the D300, there are TWO points of possible damage that can result from an older Q-series Nikkor.

For film use, FE bodies with their flip-up Ai tabs are plentiful and cheap--often cheaper than an Ai job.

For film use, FE bodies with their flip-up Ai tabs are plentiful and cheap--often cheaper than an Ai job.

Yes, same goes for the FM model, which also have the flip-up Ai tab. I saw a VERY clean FE last week in black for $75. It was immaculate! Just super-duper nice...looked like it had barely been shot.

I thought I saw somewhere that it would only cost 25 bucks to have the lens converted but I probably mis read while skimming random junk. I have to head into town to the local camera shop Wednesday morning and ill see what they say and what all they have in stock that would work. I was kind of hoping it would just hook up so I could start shooting as soon as the camera showed up. I know my DX lens won't work but I do also have an AF Nikkor 50mm 1.8D.

DC6912FB-25D6-4669-B139-8C062A692EC1-68701-00005BF563680BD7_zps411db886.jpg

Arrived a couple days earlier than I thought :)

The 50mm seems to fit and work great. Now just need some film

Most reactions

New Topics

Back