Nikkor vs. Sigma

Captain IK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm considering another lens for my D60 and have been told (and I agree) that it is best to stick with the Nikkor lenses, however, there is a substantial price difference, between the Nikkor DX VR 18mm-200mm and the Sigma 18mm-200mm. Nikkor goes for $729.00 and the Sigma goes for $399.99.
Is there that much of a difference in quality between these two lenses?
I'm not sure if the Sigma has vibration reduction which would aboviously impact the cost.

I have a Sigma 70-300 that I love.

Many of my Canon shooting buddies feel that Sigma is the best alternative to original Canon lenses. While most use mostly Canon lenses, a few actually have more Sigma lenses in their bags then Canon. They don't seem to feel the same way about Tamron or Tokina lenses though.

The few Nikon shooters that I know also seem to like Sigma as an alternative to Nikkor lenses.

Thanks,

My next question was going to be about Tamron...but you've answered that.

So generally...all lens aspects being equal...at least as equal as possible...it appears that the Sigma purchase may be a smart one.

I'm going to head down to the camera shop this afternoon and hopefully ( if they are in stock) compare the two lenses side by side.
I'll let you know the results.

I've had cheaper Sigma 70-300 lenses and a cheaper Tamron 18-200mm lens - Hated them all. The Sigma's really needed stopped down and required bright sunlight to really shine.

I had a Tamron 20-40mm SP which was great! and I have the 17-70mm Sigma 2.8 now and it's also great.

If you're buying budget buy Nikon (I would say) but if you have a little more to spend and can afford the 3rd party 'pro' / 'semi-pro' range then I'd probably do that as Pro Nikon lenses are way expensive! lol

Don't really have abudget...the way business is these days (not photography related) I can't afford to buy fresh air.
However, I don't want to buy junk either so as with all things I am striving for that middle ground. If I have to spend a little more to get a big leap in quality, I will.

Don't get the sigma or nikon 18-200, the optical quality is awful, and you will never be happy with the results. Get the nikon 16-85, it is much better optical quality, and is cheaper. As a rule, only buy nikon lenses and hoya or b+w filters.

Apples and oranges. The 16-85 is a general walk around lens and requires less "compromise" than the 18-200 of either manufacturer. However, with the other two you get the 16-85's vibration reduction system, as well as an all-in-one lens. Optics are going to "suffer" when you stuff so much into one system, but I wouldn't even begin to classify the Nikon as "awful". The 18-200 Sigma is rated at about the same quality as the Nikon.

As a rule, only buy nikon lenses and hoya or b+w filters.
Sorry, but that's a terrible rule.

My rule: buy what works. Don't buy a lens because of what name is on it, buy a lens based on reviews and price.

Sigma lenses are hit and miss. You can often tell by the price. Is that telephoto lens about $170? You'll get what you pay for. I sell those cheap things and I can tell you they aren't worth much. But the high-end sigmas on the other hand are quite spectacular things. So you have to judge on a lens by lens basis.

Don't get the sigma or nikon 18-200, the optical quality is awful, and you will never be happy with the results. Get the nikon 16-85, it is much better optical quality, and is cheaper. As a rule, only buy nikon lenses and hoya or b+w filters.

The16-85 doesn't come close to the focal length I need. How is the 70-300 Nikkor lens quality? Maybe that would be the way to go as I need the longer focal length more than the wider.

Ok, here we go,

SO I went to the camera shop to compare the Nikkor 18-200 with the Sigma 18-200 for use with my D60.
...and the winner is....
I don't know because I traded in the D60 for a d90 with 24-120 AF-S VR f3.5

My wife is gonna kill one of you guys for talking me into it.
SO if she calls please just play along.

Thanks

Ok, here we go,

SO I went to the camera shop to compare the Nikkor 18-200 with the Sigma 18-200 for use with my D60.
...and the winner is....
I don't know because I traded in the D60 for a d90 with 24-120 AF-S VR f3.5

My wife is gonna kill one of you guys for talking me into it.
SO if she calls please just play along.

Thanks
Haha awesome! I have the d90 and it's a fantastic camera. Congrats

Most reactions

New Topics

Back