Nikon 1 V3

Swing and a miss. A big miss.

After this and the DF I really am confused as to their market strategy. Really expensive niche cameras that compete with similarly priced but much better cameras in their own product line. Really confusing.

Swing and a miss. A big miss.

After this and the DF I really am confused as to their market strategy. Really expensive niche cameras that compete with similarly priced but much better cameras in their own product line. Really confusing.

This is the kind of thing Thom Hogan has been saying for a while now. Sony's been doing the same thing: launching cameras that compete with their other offerings. It's like the executives have ZERO clue of who their customers are. That is the type of so-called "Solomic" analysis Hogan provided in his Nikon 1 V3 intro piece...Nikon launched the first 1-series camera's top model at $900...now they're offering a $1,200 body/EVF/10-30mm zoom package?

I guess maybe they figure why not--nobody bought the earlier two 1-series cameras, so every single North American buyer will want a new 10-30mm zoom!!

NOPE...this new camera will sell more D5300 kits than it will 1 V3 kits!

I used to sell cameras for a retail chain, years ago...I have never seen such moronic product lines from Nikon...just zero clue about the actual kind of customers that currently exist, and well, the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing...all I can assume/guess is that the Japan home market's tendency to suck up ANY new camera due to brand loyalty and love for small and "new" is blinding the numbskulls running Nikon now.

Missed opportunity if you ask me. Why not cancel the 1 series, keep the guts and give it a retro style body? Keep it under a grand and you reap in the dough. Instead you have a DF that wasn't much of a success and another iteration of the dead horse nikon 1.

There is a video on petapixel, a sports shooter used the new 1 for some photos. He seemed very happy with the quality. Totally agree with runnah, a big missed opportunity with the df and now this. The new 1 looks like a 200$ PnS.

Fuji and Olympus are going to take over the mirroless market very soon. There is a new patent for an 85-300 which will be a very nice lens, Im sure. At 300mm on a 1.5x, thats a nice bang for the buck.

Thom Hogan is even more pessimistic than the Nikon fanboys that the SOUNDIMAGEOPLUS's David Hughes is ridiculing in his latest column...this new camera is apparently a MESS, according to Thom...and it's overpriced...

Neither has spent a weekend with the camera but at least Hughes resists Thom's Solomonic analysis of a camera he's never touched. I like Hogan but he sometimes reads like Ken Rockwell's smarter brother.

I share with Hughes a huge dislike of online blather, noise over signal, and the clueless blowhards and gear fetishists who talk about stuff they've never used, much less owned.

Keep in mind that Thom Hogan actually uses the Nikon 1. If you read his Safari blogs (on his site) you can see quite a few pictures taken by him and his students with various Nikon 1 camera's and lenses. He's probably more of an expert on whats right/wrong with the 1 bodies then most people. He even said he's taking the V3 and the new 70-300 with him on his next trip (i think in aug).

At the end of the day its still priced higher then a D7100.. the 'kit' lens doesn't have a lens hood or threads for filters (IMHO it looks like a standard Point-n-Shoot lens).. No weather sealing.. No dual card slot.. uses Micro SD cards (ever drop one of those outside and try to find it?). you cant deny its a big question mark on what they where thinking.

"Yeah, Hughes...the rabid SONY fanboy who talked up the A7r as if were the second coming of Christ, and gave it RAVE reviews inside of one week. I saved some of the SOUNDEIMAGEPLUS Sony fanboy rave web pages from his first week with the camera...I loved the part where he said he'd delete any comments from people who dared criticize his beloved new Sony. Talk about online blather and B.S...Hughes excels at it.

Hughes was guilty of loads of online-FANBOY blathering about his beloved new Sony. TOTAL, unadulterated fanboy gushing."

Hughes' preferences are never ambivalent, granted, but at least he owns, shoots and processes the images made by the gear he discusses. And you? More noise than signal here, I'm afraid. That's what annoys Hughes, and me.

No Thanks !!!!!!!!!!

Crazydad,

some good stuff in your last post. However, what you and I know is not what Nikon knows. I'm sure they have done their research on a pro dx body. Again my true feeling is that they are isolating people who work in the photography field from people who do not.

Let's compare it to cars. Would Porsche make a 50k model that is comparable to a 150k model? Is a Cayman a 911? Of course not.

I'm waiting to see the 7D MII and the D7200. Either of those cameras will meet most peoples needs. I enjoy my D3, plenty of life left, great imagery, raw files are small enough where I don't need to worry, it fits my needs very well. I shoot motorsports for the most part. I don't even know what 1600 ISO is , unless I'm doing some high key shots.

I know one thing, it seems that there are a lot of people who are waiting for these models. If I were Nikon or Canon Id either say we are or are not making these bodies so people can focus on their business and what they need. It seems like they are trying to be the next Apple, here are our iphone 6 leaks, here is iOS 8 leaks.

Please don't hold your breath !

I would suggest that Nikon ( and canon ) are worried. I just saw what I would consider stunning images taken at a wedding from a XT-1. When I went in to my local camera shop - they know I'm a Nikon fanboy, I enquired about the XT-1. They admitted that the mirrorless is outselling the DSLR 10 to 1. Bear in mind in my corner of the world the XT-1 is more expensive than a D7100. The owner had brought one to 'back up' his D800, and said something quite remarkable - he said that this technology could see the death knell of the DSLR as we know it. His thoughts were that the US consumer was the only factor propping up the heavier DSLR market, but Nikon and Canon are seeing nosedives in sales.
So Nikon must know that brands like Fuji and Sony are beginning to eat into the market. I would hazard a guess is mirrorless will be the big battlefield of camera manufacturers.

I'm beginning to sway myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Yeah, Hughes...the rabid SONY fanboy who talked up the A7r as if were the second coming of Christ, and gave it RAVE reviews inside of one week. I saved some of the SOUNDEIMAGEPLUS Sony fanboy rave web pages from his first week with the camera...I loved the part where he said he'd delete any comments from people who dared criticize his beloved new Sony. Talk about online blather and B.S...Hughes excels at it.

Hughes was guilty of loads of online-FANBOY blathering about his beloved new Sony. TOTAL, unadulterated fanboy gushing."

Hughes' preferences are never ambivalent, granted, but at least he owns, shoots and processes the images made by the gear he discusses. And you? More noise than signal here, I'm afraid. That's what annoys Hughes, and me.

Hughes jumped the gun and bought a camera that shoots 11-bit, highly lossy, VISIBLY-lossy, compressed RAW images...wow.....................................

Hughes jumped the gun and bought a camera that has FOUR lenses available...

Hughes jumped the gun and missed the huge shutter vibration problem the A7r has, due to its unfortunate mechanical first curtain shutter that closes, then opens, then closes again...

Hughes went off on a big fanboy love-fest with a brand-new toy.

ALL NOISE...ALL his own efforts to justify an expensive new toy. Noise comes in different varieties. Hughes' variety of noise is the typical internet kind--that of the brand new owner singing, "Laa-la-lal-la-la-laa-I-can't-hear-you-talking-about-issues-with-the thing-I just-boughtand need to rationalize!"

Of course, cgw, you were the guy who proclaimed the Sony A7 and A7r to be "game changers". lol

So far, the new Sony A7 and A7r units are...not even being stocked by Best Buy in my entire metro area...sales turds....I wonder if the Nikon 1 V3 will be on closeout at 1/3 of its original retail price point within a year, like the original Nikon 1 models were. My guess? YES, it will drop in price severely, because frankly, the design, features, and target market are all "missing in action". Hogan listed its numerous flaws as a camera offering. And now, it's up against better cameras. Olympus has a new OM, the OM D-10 about ready to hit the streets...it will likely blow the Nikon out of the water in terms of sales. Body and 12-42mm zoom for $799??? Nikon 1 V3--buh-bye...

Let's compare it to cars. Would Porsche make a 50k model that is comparable to a 150k model? Is a Cayman a 911? Of course not.
It could be, if Porsch didn't cripple it for "strategic cost". Same with the Canon 6D

im not a camera engineer, or a market analyst, or any kind of technology expert.
I just find options that are within my budget at the time, and buy what I feel will work best for me and my needs.

It could be, if Porsch didn't cripple it for "strategic cost". Same with the Canon 6D

No they wouldn't. They make several models for various markets. Entry level, mid grade and professional standard.

I have not played with an XT-1. My XE-2 is great for what it is. I need a DSLR for pro sports. Mirrorless will become the camera for most consumers. For working pros, we need dslrs.

Most reactions

Back