Nikon 105 f2.8 VR vs. Tamron 90 f2.8 Di

Personally I would have saved a bunch of $$ and bought a 105mm ais macro manual focus lens--either the f4 or f2.8 version.

You don't really need autofocus when doing macro photography.

I think a number of people want a macro telephoto to serve double duty as both a field/nature/portrsiture lens AND a close-up and macro lens...unfortunately, most macro lenses do not work all that well for things that lie outside of the macro and close-up focusing ranges...

Hair-trigger focusing ring travel is the main problem when using a macro lens beyond about 3 feet or so...it can be incredibly difficult to ascertain the exact,right focus with a manual focusing macro lens at distances in the 4-40 foot distance zone...so, most people who are not experts are going to want an autofocusing 90,100,105,150, or 180mm macro lens.

ALL of the macro lenses made by Tamron,Tokina,Sigma, and Nikon are quality lenses. ALL of them are capable of first-rate results. Macro lens primes are one of the areas where the aftermarket lens makers do very,very well.

Personally I would have saved a bunch of $$ and bought a 105mm ais macro manual focus lens--either the f4 or f2.8 version.

You don't really need autofocus when doing macro photography.

I think a number of people want a macro telephoto to serve double duty as both a field/nature/portrsiture lens AND a close-up and macro lens...unfortunately, most macro lenses do not work all that well for things that lie outside of the macro and close-up focusing ranges...

Hair-trigger focusing ring travel is the main problem when using a macro lens beyond about 3 feet or so...it can be incredibly difficult to ascertain the exact,right focus with a manual focusing macro lens at distances in the 4-40 foot distance zone...so, most people who are not experts are going to want an autofocusing 90,100,105,150, or 180mm macro lens.

ALL of the macro lenses made by Tamron,Tokina,Sigma, and Nikon are quality lenses. ALL of them are capable of first-rate results. Macro lens primes are one of the areas where the aftermarket lens makers do very,very well.

Very good points.

My advice was based on someone wanting a lens specifically for macro photography.

It should be noted that the price difference between a used nikon ais macro and a new nikon af-s VR macro is nearly $600. That's pretty significant.

Thanks IgsEMT. Does anybody else have advice on these two lenses?

I used to have the Tamron version, but sold it as I found the lense to bother me when it extened. If I remember right it also jumped to F4 while doing that. It did a good job, but I never really got satisfied with the build quality and the extending.
I swapped to Nikon afs 60 macro, since I already had another 100 mm macro (but it was manual, and I didn't like that then)

I decided that the Nikkor 105VR is the way to go, thanks for everyone's input.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back