Nikon 105 VR macro

What? The only lenses with fluctuating apertures are some low end zoom lenses, and the Nikon 105mm is clearly a prime lens.

When macro lenses get to their close focusing distances the effective aperture does change as part of the design to achive close focusing. Its not something that you really notice in use (I find) as since it appears only nikon cameras report this change in effective aperture, my canon leaves me totally in the dark and calls the aperture f2.8 all the time (at least for my sigma lens which will still report a change in aperture on a nikon camera) - but of course the amount of light let in is still the same so it makes little difference.

Regardless the nikon 105mm macro VR is an impressive macro lens and the only one with VR

If you are referring to the aperture stopping down on 1:1 macro & closeup work, look at the chart on page 100 of your manual. No reason to be depressed, be happy. :)

Thanks for all the help guys! after thinking about it for a little bit, i thought it might have to do with the focussing.

The lens is so crazily sharp. I am loving it!

I wish i had the manual. The guy i bought it from threw away everything but the 5 year warranty. He used it twice in his house and told me he didnt like it so i scooped it up! haha

What? The only lenses with fluctuating apertures are some low end zoom lenses, and the Nikon 105mm is clearly a prime lens.

So this lens isnt a constant 2.8??? Kind of depressing.

Why?? I sure wouldn't want to shoot 1:1 at f/2.8. The DOF would be so shallow that it would be practically useless. My 105 f/2.8 non-VR goes from f/2.8 to f/5 at full 1:1, but at the other end of the scale, I go from f/32 to f/57. Which means..... if I can crank enough light onto the subject, my macro DOF is phenomenal.

f57??? that is insane!
but what about diffraction induced softnes in the shot?

f57??? that is insane!
but what about diffraction induced softnes in the shot?

I certainly haven't noticed any problems. I couldn't remember any shots off the top of my head where I have shot fully stopped down, but if you remember this pic, it was taken at 1/60 f/45 ISO200.

Gives me a good idea to go test, though.

dragon21m.jpg

Last edited:
yes I remember that shot - its almost making me want to go out and find an older macro lens for canon to get to such silly apertures! (if there is one out there)

Macros are fun, but at least for me, its not something that I do a lot of. I have the Sigma 105mm F/2.8 and it is tack sharp and an excellent macro lens, but I prefer using it as a portrait lens.

Sheesh, I just thought of something... I've never had the 105mm Sigma on my D700! I wonder how it performs on it? Guess I will have to go out this weekend and find out! :D

D700 - is that hte fullframe nikon?
if so do share how it performs :) fullframe macro is something I want to try (and it will be decades before I can get my hands on a 5DMwhatever one they are on in decades)

The lens is so crazily sharp. I am loving it!

It is the sharpest lens I own, and I own a bunch of sharp lenses. The image quality is PRISTINE.

Macros are fun, but at least for me, its not something that I do a lot of. I have the Sigma 105mm F/2.8 and it is tack sharp and an excellent macro lens, but I prefer using it as a portrait lens.

Sheesh, I just thought of something... I've never had the 105mm Sigma on my D700! I wonder how it performs on it? Guess I will have to go out this weekend and find out! :D

I use my 105 for lots of stuff, it is absolutely gorgeous for portraits.

It's funny, I will say that, and some web wonk will reply "that's stupid, you have to stand too far back to take a portrait with that on a cropped sensor camera"... Gotta love the web wonk's... it's like they have to pay money for each step back they have to take to zoom with their feet.

I imagine it is absolutely a perfect length on your D700.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back