Nikon 16-35mm f/4 question

Submariner1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm wondering if some users out there can tell me what the established sweet spot is for this lens for ultimate sharpness and the least distortion.

Also, I'm noticing some barrel distortion at 16mm focal length. Is it a good idea to not shoot that wide to minimize the distortion or just shoot wide then use the distortion fix in my D610 or in Lightroom? Any negatives to using the distortion fixes in camera vs Lightroom?

Thanks!

I've thought a lot about this subject. And in my mind rvery focal length or so has its own unique characteristic. Just like how a telephoto compresses the background, i view the distortion on a wide angle in the same light. I say dont let every picture look the same, have some fun, change it up by using the distortion to your advantage in your creative process.

Any negatives to using the distortion fixes in camera vs Lightroom?
Yes there are.
1. In camera distortion control eats your buffer memory reducing the number of shots you can take before the buffer overflows.
2. It only works with jpeg files. The correction does get applied to the embedded jpeg inside the nef file but the raw data remains unchanged (which is as it should be) so that if you are shooting RAW you still have to apply the distortion correction in Lightroom.

I usually use my wide zoom as a 21-28mm f5.6.

I think all of it? I've shot at 16 with sharp results, and 35 with sharp results, and in-between with sharp results.

35mm
_RSP1837 by f_one_eight, on Flickr

16mm
_RSP1331-Edit by f_one_eight, on Flickr

It's a monster lens. I love it.

Jake

I just bought this lens. Looking forward to it.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I just bought this lens. Looking forward to it.

Yeah it's killer. You'll love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I avoid the lower end - 16mm - because of distortion.

I went for the 16-35mm instead of the much cheaper and optically apparently equal 18-35mm f3.5-4.5 because of the extra 2mm at the lower end.

I went for the 16-35mm instead of the much cheaper and optically apparently equal 18-35mm f3.5-4.5 because of the extra 2mm at the lower end.

Why? The distortion is minimal, and software corrects it in seconds...

Software does correct but I also find that when the subject is close its still far from perfect. Luckily, when the subject is close, I'm usually looking for a dramatic look, and I don't usually use the correction in that case. Landscape it's perfectly fine.

d3b48aeb4a6d8db67d6c704f6181009e.jpg

Software does correct but I also find that when the subject is close its still far from perfect.
What sort of distortion are we talking about here? If it's barrel/pincushion then avoiding the max and min focal lengths might help, on the other hand it might not, it all depends on the lens design but either way it is easily corrected in software. If on the other hand we are talking about perspective distortion then that is a function of the angle of view and camera to subject distance so a 18-35mm lens set to 18mm will produce EXACTLY the same distortion as a 16-35mm lens set to 18mm.

Last edited:

Software does correct but I also find that when the subject is close its still far from perfect. Luckily, when the subject is close, I'm usually looking for a dramatic look, and I don't usually use the correction in that case. Landscape it's perfectly fine.

d3b48aeb4a6d8db67d6c704f6181009e.jpg

This distortion is from not keeping the lens level, and shooting upwards. ALL wide angles (except perspective control lenses) will do this.

Jake

Most reactions

New Topics

Back