lunars

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I'm Luana and I'm not a professional, so I'm sorry if any of this sounds dumb.
So I won a Nikon D3100 as a gift and two years later my camera fell into the pool. I know. I cried for a week straight. But since it was in the bag it somehow survived. The only damage was in the lens, my 18-55mm was blurry and it didn't dry out like everything else. So after testing I saw that it would work if I brought a new lens. I need your help to wich of these lenses should I buy that would work with my camera.
AF-S DX NIKKOR
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II or AF-S DX NIKKOR
55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR II or the one my camera came with
AF-P DX NIKKOR
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR? They are in order from cheaper to more expensive.
Again I'M SORRY if this sounds really stupid but I'm not a professional, I tried but I don't understand the difference betweet a VR I to a VR II and stuff like that, I just like taking amateur pictures of me and my family. So if anyone could please help me I would be really happy. Sorry for rambling and have a good day. :)

Designer

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
VR came before VRII, which was some improvement, but your budget may dictate which one you get.

I think you should get the AF-S 18-55, and either VR or VRII. A used example should be fine if it has not been abused.

I had that lens on my camera most of the time for the first several years. I hardly ever used the 55-200 so I traded it away last year.

The AF-P is a later model, and will be priced accordingly.

There are many other choices as well, so depending on what your "photographic style" is, you could also get a 35mm or a 50mm or even something a bit longer if you like to keep some distance from your subjects.

OP
L

lunars

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
On the Nikon website the AF-S 18-55mm VR II is way cheaper than the AF-P 18-55mm VR, like a 400 reais (brazilian coin) difference. Does it has anything to do with the automatic focus?

Dave442

Reaction score
I would go with the first lens in your list.

Derrel

Mr. Rain Cloud
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Photos OK to edit
On the Nikon website the AF-S 18-55mm VR II is way cheaper than the AF-P 18-55mm VR, like a 400 reais (brazilian coin) difference. Does it has anything to do with the automatic focus?

Yes, the AF-P uses a _new_ autofocusing system, which currently, the D3100 is not able to use. Only the very-newest Nikon bodies can utilize the AF-P lens models, so the AF-S VR or AF-S VRII versions of the 18-55 would be the right lens for your camera. Either of those two would be fine.

I like the VR lenses from Nikon.

dunfly

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I would try to find a good price on a Nikkor 18-140 mm DX AF-S. It is a better lens and has more range. Amazon has a refurbished on for about $265.

OP
L

lunars

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
My camera actually came with the AF-P and I was scared of buying an AF-S and it not being compatible. But I guess I will go with the AF-S then. Thank you!

otherprof

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I'm Luana and I'm not a professional, so I'm sorry if any of this sounds dumb.
So I won a Nikon D3100 as a gift and two years later my camera fell into the pool. I know. I cried for a week straight. But since it was in the bag it somehow survived. The only damage was in the lens, my 18-55mm was blurry and it didn't dry out like everything else. So after testing I saw that it would work if I brought a new lens. I need your help to wich of these lenses should I buy that would work with my camera.
AF-S DX NIKKOR
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II or AF-S DX NIKKOR
55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR II or the one my camera came with
AF-P DX NIKKOR
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR? They are in order from cheaper to more expensive.
Again I'M SORRY if this sounds really stupid but I'm not a professional, I tried but I don't understand the difference betweet a VR I to a VR II and stuff like that, I just like taking amateur pictures of me and my family. So if anyone could please help me I would be really happy. Sorry for rambling and have a good day. :)
The MPB ad on this site has an 18-55 afp listed as like new for $75.

Derrel

Mr. Rain Cloud
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Photos OK to edit
My camera actually came with the AF-P and I was scared of buying an AF-S and it not being compatible. But I guess I will go with the AF-S then. Thank you!

AF-P was not invented during the time the Nikon D3100 was made...

ac12

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Personally I would go with a 18-140.
That way, the ONE lens will do 95+% of what you want, and you avoid the hassle of changing lenses.
BUT, the 18-140 is larger and heavier than the 18-55, which would make the small and light D3100 camera bulkier and heavier. That may be a significant consideration. There is no free lunch.

Most reactions

New Topics