Nikon 18-200mm AF-S f/3.5-5.6 and Weddings

so i have the AF-S DX 18-135 f/3.5-5.6. I asumme this means I can only set the aperature on my D80 of a range from 3.5-5.6. Correct?

A minor correction - you can't set the aperture on your D80 to anything because the camera doesn't have an aperture; the aperture is in the lens (although on most SLRs you set it via the camera).

Presumably Adam was referring to the ones he listed, namely...

70-200 VR 2.8 for those candid photojournalistic style shots
28-70 2.8 great all around lens
85mm 1.4 good for low light situations

as opposed to the 18-200mm.

Well I'll wait for his confirmation if so I guess it was a mis-communcation with him.

Thats right, sorry for the mis-communication, I guess I could have typed it a little more clear, now I can see by spacing it out so far, at a glance it could easily look like my gear list (I wish it was :) )

Also I am glad to hear the nikon line on lenses is on par with canon as far as AF speed, I know to my eye the image quality is the same, though others online may disagree. A couple of people said that they switched over to canon and the af and quality was much better (for the 70-200). I don't want to start a canon vs. nikon debate though...both are good brands that pro's use, and i'm still using nikon :)

Thanks for to ideas and I am sorry I did not include as much info in the first post! Here is what I am looking at as far as possible future needs

D200 body
Lenses that are f/2.8 or less
SB-800 speedflash
2-3 batteries (D200 battery life is not as good I hear)
Lots of memory:)

Correct?:)

What zoom range will be best? I see some 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses that sound good but then I would want a lens to go with it that would be say 28-85mm f/2.8 or 17-55mm f/2.8? I am just getting ideas as to what I need to be looking for so I don't waist money on a lens that will not do me anygood:)

Thanks I will:)

No, I was talking about the Metz 45 cl 4. It has the wink light for catch lights in the subjects eyes and has a terrific color flash -skin tones are great!

You can find used ones around if the new sticker sends you into shock. With care they will last a long long time.

If you want to know more, start a thread in the equipment section and ask.

I believe that JIP has one too btw.

mike

No, I was talking about the Metz 45 cl 4. It has the wink light for catch lights in the subjects eyes and has a terrific color flash -skin tones are great!

You can find used ones around if the new sticker sends you into shock. With care they will last a long long time.

If you want to know more, start a thread in the equipment section and ask.

I believe that JIP has one too btw.

mike
No from my medium format days I have a 60 CT-1 and a 60 CT-4 which are the next step up. Personally I agree they are excellent long-lasting flashes but actually, I have yet to use them with digital. When I went digital I bought an SB-800.

One thing the photographer mentioned and I abserved last night was that you really need a flash that piviots up and down but also rotates. Does the SB-800 do both, because I don't think the SB-600 does? I will deffinently be getting the 800 if it does!

I am fairly certain the 600 has both tilt and swivel. The 800 too. Maybe you were thinking of the 400?

The Sb 800 and 600 both have tilt and swivel. Look up why people use Strobo frames though. If it come down to a choice between the two get the 800.

JIP, I did buy the 60 CT 1 and it works wonderfully with my D200. A hotshoe to PC adapter for your D70 is around $20, if your manual says you're good to 250V go ahead and use them. Radio slaves would be better but you can even use optical slaves too (opti-slaves are great for portraits- not so good when there are other flashes besides yours going off).

Ok I went and looked at the SB-600 and it DOES have tilt and swivel. I can get it for $229 and the SB-800 for $369. Now I learned my lesson about buying the cheaper and not thinking about the future so...:) I am more than willing to spend the money and get the SB-800 if it will be a better flash for what I do (or hope to do) Weddings and portraits. Could someone explain the features that make the SB-800 better other than the power? I deffinently don't want to buy the SB-600 and then down the road need to buy the SB-800 so:) I think that will be my next purchase while I search for a new lens and after that I will start saving for the D200. Thanks

The Sb 800 and 600 both have tilt and swivel. Look up why people use Strobo frames though. If it come down to a choice between the two get the 800.

JIP, I did buy the 60 CT 1 and it works wonderfully with my D200. A hotshoe to PC adapter for your D70 is around $20, if your manual says you're good to 250V go ahead and use them. Radio slaves would be better but you can even use optical slaves too (opti-slaves are great for portraits- not so good when there are other flashes besides yours going off).
I have used optical slaves for most of the time I have had my flashes and I have used them in conjunction with my D70s but thanks for the advice. We really should stick to the op's questions.

I am more than willing to spend the money and get the SB-800 if it will be a better flash for what I do (or hope to do) Weddings and portraits.

FWIW I don't think you're going to be using any camera-mounted flash for professional portraiture, for that you need a lighting setup. The added power (of the SB-800 vs. the 600) is well worth the extra money, think of it as the equivalent to adding a stop of aperature on your lens (in other words, it can make the difference between being able to take a shot and not being able to).

Dave

Most reactions

New Topics

Back