nikon 18-35 vs Sigma 18-35 1.8

jeffgordon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello friends, after using my 35 mm 1.8 with my Nikon d7000 I am ready for the next step. I am looking at two specific lenses only, due to their specifications, price and abilities such as sharpness and speed. I know that Nikon 18-35 (2013 model) is supper sharp lens and of a good quality , but Sigma 18-35 1.8 might be better ( as I was told at the store). I am looking for walk around lens that is sharp and able to produce good bokeh. Can somebody give me a feedback on Nikon 18-35 or/and Sigma 18-35 1.8. Thank you.

Last edited:
Are you planning to stay with DX? The Nikon 18-35 is a consumer-level zoom with a f/3.5-4.5 variable aperture designed for full frame cameras. The Sigma is a high-end (armature/pro) lens with a constant f/1.8 aperture. So, I would say that the Sigma would definitely be better for small DOF and pronounced bokeh then the Nikon would be. However, the Nikon can be used on a full-frame camera if you decide to upgrade in the future.

18-35mm is a very limited zoom range. However, if 35mm is as far as you want to go, then f1.8 on that Sigma is nice.

For a normal zoom, I personally would want minimum 17-50mm on DX. You could consider something like the Sigma 17-50mm OS (since it's much smaller than the Nikon version of the same thing).

18-35mm is limited, but I wouldn't say very limited. Depends on how you like to shoot. For me I have a 17-40mm F4L on my 60D and it is more zoom than I need a lot of the time. If I need more I get closer or step back. I'm looking at the 18-35mm 1.8 for night shooting on my D7000 as my widest lens I have for the D7k is a 24-120 F4N. It's wide enough most of the time but my vacation earlier this year to the Grand Canyon it was not wide enough.... so I was using the 17-40mm despite my finding the ergonomics of the 60D not as nice as the D7000.

Anyway, OP, whatcha gonna be shooting with this thing? Landscapes? People? Flowers? You say walk-around but please be more specific than that. When I'm doing macro I constantly "walk around" but a 18-35mm ain't gonna serve me well for that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back