What's new

Nikon 24-70

PhotoWrangler

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jun 20, 2010
Messages
1,702
Reaction score
366
Location
Houston MetroMess, Texas
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OMG!!! WHAT have I been missing!!!

I just picked up the Nikon 24-70mm on Thursday evening. I got a killer deal on it, and I absolutely cannot believe what I've been missing. The sharpness of this lens is tremendous! It is FAST, and QUIET!!! I've been using my Nikon 80-200 D, and have gotten used to the typical mechanical sound of a D lens - but man... what a difference the built in motor makes. Colors are great on this lens, contrast is excellent, and again SHARPNESS, SHARPNESS, SHARPNESS! I just can't say it enough.

Here are two handheld shots that I did of my own dog on Friday afternoon.


WranglerOnBrown by TheModernMutt, on Flickr


WranglerInBarn by TheModernMutt, on Flickr
 
Last edited:
Congratz on the new lens. Yeah buddy, it's a wonderful lens.
 
Jealous, enjoy it new gear is always so much fun.
 
Welcome to the world of quality glass. It is at the point you just reached when you learn that most of the people that talk about buying good glass over most consumer glass aren't really glass snobs. They, like you know the quality of the image good glass can create. Have fun and enjoy the lens. :thumbup:

You know of course that now you will have to fill out the Trifecta with the 14-24 f2.8 and the 70-200 f2.8. It is part of the fine print when you buy a top quality lens like that, that you will not let it sit in your bag alone. :lol:
 
It is at the point you just reached when you learn that most of the people that talk about buying good glass over most consumer glass aren't really glass snobs.


Oh I learned that feeling some time ago. The 80-200 was the first 'pro' glass that I purchased. I remember the very first shot I took with that lens - another shot of my dog. But I remember pulling the image off the card and zooming to a 1:1 ratio, and being able to see the detail on each strand of fur around his eyes. That lens floored me then....

I needed something in this range, so I bought a Tammy 28-75 until I could afford this one. This lens gave me the feeling that the 80-200 did, but with so much more 'oomph!' Since we have the 80-200, I'll probably start saving for the 14-24 now....
 
Ok that's it! I'm ordering one TODAY!
 
Congrats on the new glass! I love mine.
 
FYI if you really need the speed and the extra 2mm's then you should really look into the 16-35mm f4 lens. Its maybe the sharpest zoom made and there is a big price difference between that and the 14-24mm (new that is).

Lance
 
f/4 doesn't cut it in a dark church, unfortunately. The bulk of our business is weddings. Pets are my personal 'for fun' gig.
 
I rented it a few times and i was always sad to bring it back :lmao:, i had to buy it.
I am not shooting closeup portrait or beauty shots without that lens. i love it
 
Wow those are nice photos, ive been debating on buying one kinda a toss up between it and a 17-55.
 
Wow those are nice photos, ive been debating on buying one kinda a toss up between it and a 17-55.

They are essentially the same lens. The 24-70 is considered a full frame lens, while the 17-55 is a 'DX' specific lens. The 17-55 has the same view on a 1.5 crop factor sensor, as a 24-70 - to be specific its a 25-82.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom