Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 or Nikon 50mm f1.4 G

definitely the 24-70mm 2.8. 50mm 1.4 is far less useful as a stay on lens. - For D90 this is not the best range though...but then neither is the 50mm. I would not buy the 50mm at all - very shallow DOF at 1.4 for indoors shots.

lol

Yea, what if it's dark?
Have you heard of a flash or a tripod???? what if...

check out the dates on the original post some of you, he already picked one...

however the person that bumped the thread said they are having the same dilemma

In case someone is hesitating between the 24-70mm f2.8 and the 50mm f1.4, here's my input (since I own & use both).
If you take landscapes go for the 24-70 since you'll need larger angles. If you're looking for something special for portraits and bringing out subjects, then definitely go for the 50mm. The 24-70mm is an excellent all round lens that I can use to take 80% of the pictures during a wedding. However, in my opinion it does lack that something special, both due to it larger DOF, the bokeh that's hardly present, and in low light it doesn't bring out the rich colors that the 50mm can bring out. The 50mm is more work though and you'll have to think more. The 24-70 is great and useful. If you have no lenses then perhaps the 24-70 is the better walk around lens, in particular in cities and outdoors. If you're carrying more lenses with you wherever you go (in particular a wide angle and a zoom), then go for the 50mm instead and save a lot of money you can then spend on flashes, filters, and a dinner for your wife because you're spending so much time and money on photography.

The 24-70 is a great all purpose lens
The 50mm gives that something special (but you'lll sometimes find yourself no longer being able to back up to take a certain shot).
The 50mm is great since you can just stick it in your bag, it weighs nothing and takes up almost no space.

For weddings I've often switch between the two lenses, but personally prefer the 50mm.

Hint: take a look at what focal range the pictures are that you've been taking. For example, I started with the 18-200mm lens and discovered I was on the 18mm or 200mm in 90% of the cases. So the mid range hardly mattered.

Why didn't you just start a new thread, instead of digging up one that started in 2009?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back