Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 or Nikon 50mm f1.4 G

cphanh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am ready to purchase another lens for my bag but can't decide. Any opinions on these two lenses will be great. I will be using this on a FX camera (D3s):D. The lens will be used mostly for wedding and landscape photography. Thanks in advance.

when shooting what do you find yourself wanting more of, speed or focal length options?

or sell the kit lens to help fund this and get both :)

Ask yourself, what do you want to look for in this lens? What are you going to shoot?

The problem is the 50mm is a fixed focal length, it produces great bokeh, portraits, and its great in low light yet isnt great for flexibility.

The 24-70 will give you more focal length options, but to my understanding the 50mm is sharper and a good addition to your bag.

I say get the Nikon 50mm 1.8 which is only 120$ and put the 24-70 in your bag :lol:

Another option you have is to go try them out in the store on a camera. Whichever one you like better get!

Hope that helps?

I would say def the 50mm 1.4. You already have the Tokina for the wider shots, and the 70-200 for more reach. The 50 will be a good mid-range lens in my opinion.

Both are great and very different lenses. Speaking from experience you will probably get more use out of the 24-70... I own the fantastic Nikon 85 f1.4...and I love it..... But because of it's fixed focal length it is probably the least used lens in my bag.

Cheers, joe

If you're willing to drop $1800USD on the 24-70mm, then I say "Nuts to the 50mm". That way you'd have the father (70-200), the son (24-70) and only missing the holy ghost (14-24) for the trinity. Pretty much a no-brainer IMO. Pick up a 50mm later.

Looks like you pretty much everything covered except a low light lens, go with the 50 mm 1.4 :thumbup:

I wish I had this dilemma :)

(24-70 would be my pick)

If you're willing to drop $1800USD on the 24-70mm, then I say "Nuts to the 50mm". That way you'd have the father (70-200), the son (24-70) and only missing the holy ghost (14-24) for the trinity. Pretty much a no-brainer IMO. Pick up a 50mm later.

Indeed!

definitely the 24-70mm 2.8. 50mm 1.4 is far less useful as a stay on lens. - For D90 this is not the best range though...but then neither is the 50mm. I would not buy the 50mm at all - very shallow DOF at 1.4 for indoors shots.

definitely the 24-70mm 2.8. 50mm 1.4 is far less useful as a stay on lens. - For D90 this is not the best range though...but then neither is the 50mm. I would not buy the 50mm at all - very shallow DOF at 1.4 for indoors shots.

lol

Yea, what if it's dark?

Why bother with the G version? Just get the F/1.4D and call it a day. In your situation however, your bag is wanting for a midrange tele lens. That is why I would pick the 24-70 over the 50MM simply because of its utility. Yes you're going to be stuck inside and those extra stops of light will be key, but so too is an ability to go semi-wide to tele in an instant (and not rely on switching off a lens). If however, you take your D90 with you and have the ability to slap a prime on it for very specific shots - I would suggest you go with the 50MM (D version). Or hell just buy both.

I was very happy to read this thread as I am currently having the same debate over a 50mm vs. a 24-70 - but to make matters more confusing I'm now in love with the new Sigma 10-20mm...decisions decisions

you are already listing the 24-70 2.8 in your signature, go with the 50 since i can't image two

you are already listing the 24-70 2.8 in your signature, go with the 50 since i can't image two

Exactally what I was thinkng.

I also liked the father , son annd holy ghost, very quite !

Most reactions

New Topics

Back