Nikon 3500 - buying my first DSLR

Just bought the Nikon D3500 Digital SLR Camera with AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Lens Black - without any bundle for $329.95. I think it's good buy. Thank you all.
Thanks for the closure. So often someone posts a question or asks for advice, we all pitch in with our "2 cents" and then...silence...we have no idea what happened. So I appreciate you taking the time to let us know what you decided.

Thanks for the closure. So often someone posts a question or asks for advice, we all pitch in with our "2 cents" and then...silence...we have no idea what happened. So I appreciate you taking the time to let us know what you decided.

The pleasure is all mine. Thank you all.

THread Pirating ...

I just purchased this camera recently while Bestbuy had the 2 lens deal for $399. Does anyone know the largest capacity card I can put in the camera ? I cannot find it anywhere on the Nikon site or anything.. I am only doing this as an amaetuer for fun and partly for my real estate career , not getting into professional shooting or anything , So I would really like to just buy 1 of the largest cards I can and that should keep me set .

THread Pirating ...

I just purchased this camera recently while Bestbuy had the 2 lens deal for $399. Does anyone know the largest capacity card I can put in the camera ? I cannot find it anywhere on the Nikon site or anything.. I am only doing this as an amaetuer for fun and partly for my real estate career , not getting into professional shooting or anything , So I would really like to just buy 1 of the largest cards I can and that should keep me set .
I have no idea how large of a card your camera will accept. While I understand your want to use just the one card GoodIntentions, that line of thought is like putting all of your eggs in just one basket. Memory cards can, and will fail at some point in time. Most photogs recommend using more than one card for insurance against such failures.

I do have one that will be kept for Backup reasons like that .. I should have worded it better .. I just want one card that will hold a lot of photos so I just want to purchase the largest possible and not worry about having to " Upgrade " in the future

I'm with Warhorse. Decent cards are not expensive, so I'm not sure what "Upgrade" in the future means. I never use cards larger than 32 gb in either my D5200 or D7200.

That being said, it appears that the D3500 will take up to a 512 gb SD card, which is about as big as they come. Here is an article. Memory size is addressed toward the end.

Nikon D3500 Memory Card Recommendations

Last edited:
Walmart has reasonable prices on 64GB SanDisk cards. As you get larger and larger prices go up exponentially I personally think that the sweet spot is either the 32 or the 64 gigabyte card

I do have one that will be kept for Backup reasons like that .. I should have worded it better .. I just want one card that will hold a lot of photos so I just want to purchase the largest possible and not worry about having to " Upgrade " in the future
You might eventually regret that plan. When you want to upload your photographs to your computer, a really large-capacity card will take longer than a card with less capacity. and just finding the shot you want to look at means you will have to sort through many more photographs each and every time.

Personally, I try to find the smallest cards, usually around 8GB, and change them out more often. Yes, it means keeping track of what is on each card, but a small note stuck onto each one gives me a starting point in knowing what is on it. Don't leave the note on the card when inserting it into your camera.

Looks like a B&H bundle. By now you'll probably have made your purchase. Yes or no, that is a very nice kit; you should be able to make any kind of image you desire. Practice!!!! Photography can be both a rewarding thing or just plain frustrating! But always interesting. Next thing you know you'll be thinking about upgrades!!
Good luck whatever you choose!
get the image

You might eventually regret that plan. When you want to upload your photographs to your computer, a really large-capacity card will take longer than a card with less capacity. and just finding the shot you want to look at means you will have to sort through many more photographs each and every time.

Personally, I try to find the smallest cards, usually around 8GB, and change them out more often. Yes, it means keeping track of what is on each card, but a small note stuck onto each one gives me a starting point in knowing what is on it. Don't leave the note on the card when inserting it into your camera.

Lots of merit to what you say---smaller cards---happened to my friend while traveling in Europe----made several hundred images on one card. Card was lost; no vacation of a lifetime images. Now, he uses the smaller cards does not put everything on one huge card. Now you can get a camera with 2 card slots so there is another solution/idea."
"Don't put all your eggs in one basket." Now, in all honesty--I use nothing smaller than a 32!

One more thought: As a child did you know how to read when a book was placed in front of you? Did you need to learn the alphabet first? Same with a beginner's camera. I'd guess that all the settings and menu's, are to a new to photography person (most) are mind boggling! Learn in steps, trial and error. Don't worry about all the technical things, use auto or "P" mode until you start to simply get the "hang" of it. It will come. You will eventually become proficient from simply using the camera and second nature will happen. Remember, most of those who have responded are experienced and might be confusing however slight a beginner. Your desire to influence a beginner should be "taking it easy" at first. Next thing you know as a novice--you'll be looking for that upgrade! Best of luck on an exciting journey to a wonderful thing.

Yes I would rather have the VR feature in the 70-300 mm than I would in the 18 to 55 mm, but I own both a non-VR 70 to 300 millimeter autofocus lens made by Nikon in the 1980s, And a much newer 2005 or so 70-300 VR-G model, and the dangers of having a non-VR 70-300 are greatly exaggerated by a couple of members here. And as far as throwing the lens away... No, sell it for $75 on Craigslist

In recent years Nikon has introduced a new low-cost 70-300 millimeter lens which has vibration reduction or VR, and also has a new autofocusing protocol called AF-P. The new focusing protocol, AF-P, really works and it basically turns an inexpensive $199 lens into one that focuses as rapidly and surely as a $2,500 lens. In the entry-level segment of the DSLR Market, there is keen competition on price, and many of the outfits like the one that you have linked to above are put together by companies looking for the absolute lowest price and then a slightly higher price, and then a top price that they have determined is the most money that people will pay.

You have to make absolutely one hundred percent sure of which two lenses are included in the kit. If both lenses are VR lenses, then that is good.

You may find that the most expensive kit includes two VR lenses which also have AF-P focusing. There are at least five different 70 to 300 mm lenses that Nikon has made within the past 10 years, so as I said, you must be absolutely certain of which lenses are included in a particular offer.

I have even seen a really cheap and outdated 70 to 300 G ( the old screw- drive Focus model from almost 20 years ago now) included in a kit or two from what I would call bottom feeder dealers. This lens will not even automatically Focus on any D3000 Series camera!!!!

Could not agree more!!! I have never had problems using nonVR glass. You have an excellent foundation based on your order. Enjoy, and keep on shootin'!

Most reactions

Back