What's new

Nikon 35mm f/ 1.8

BrianLy

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 3, 2010
Messages
298
Reaction score
0
Location
Los Angeles
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Should I get this prime lens? My Wide zoom is not doing it for me. :/
 
Not quite the same but i have a 35mm f2 on a canon crop and think its great walk around lens and for inside shots. Its not very wide though
 
Interesting you say this Brian, I am thinking of same thing. I have all the lenses I need now! But I'm just left wondering if I should trade my 18-55 VR for the 35 1.8 G. I can't decide still, I think the 1.8 could come in useful.

And I do love primes, the 50 and 90 I've just got are wonderful. The 35 seems like an amazing lens with minor faults!
 
I recently purchased a 24-70 F2.8 and honestly haven't been in a rush to replace that prime yet.
 
The kit lens doesn't let in enough light for me, and it's hard to get cover at car meets/ shows with my 50mm.
 
Last edited:
I own the 35mm f/1.8 prime. It used to be hard to get but it's not in as much demand now that it has been out for awhile. I love this lens. It is super light weight, incredibly fast and a nice walk around lens for low light situations. I would not hesitate to recommend it.
 
I have one, works great. Generally, i think the 24-70 2.8 gives better looking images, but you just can't beat it for the price. Plus its 1 1/3 stops faster :) I don't plan on getting rid of it unless i sell my DX body and go FF.
 
If I am able to sell my Kit lens I am going to get one right away!
 
You really can't beat the 35mm for price and quality but let me put a bug in your ear .... I have seen some images off the new 40mm marco lens .... I not sure if it would be wide enough ...but if your interested in shoting flowers at all in the future ...this could be a great lens for you ...seems to be sharp and fun to have ...
 
You really can't beat the 35mm for price and quality but let me put a bug in your ear .... I have seen some images off the new 40mm marco lens .... I not sure if it would be wide enough ...but if your interested in shoting flowers at all in the future ...this could be a great lens for you ...seems to be sharp and fun to have ...
I was thinking the same thing but I don't know if it is wide enough for more. I would enjoy the Micro setting. It's a hard choice.
 
You really can't beat the 35mm for price and quality but let me put a bug in your ear .... I have seen some images off the new 40mm marco lens .... I not sure if it would be wide enough ...but if your interested in shoting flowers at all in the future ...this could be a great lens for you ...seems to be sharp and fun to have ...
I was thinking the same thing but I don't know if it is wide enough for more. I would enjoy the Micro setting. It's a hard choice.

Yeah I must admit, if I didn't have a wide angle lens, the 35mm would far too narrow for me. 18mm is a very useful setting to have, its not in my mind a proper wide angle. But its better than no wide real wide angle at all. I am starting to learn though that 35mm is a great setting, as it takes the photo of what you see with your own eye! Which in a way makes photography much easier. With my wide angle, I realise I can't snap away because I will sometimes have crap in the corners that I don't always notice which completely destroy the photo!
 
I use a 35mm for my walk around, and it's a nice versatile perspective for a prime. I wouldn't really call it wide though, it's just nice and neutral. I don't know anything about that particular Nikon lens, but a fast 35 is nice to have. It's generally the lens I reach for if I don't have a specific shot in mind that requires a specific lens.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom