Nikon 50mm 1.8d vs 35mm 1.8g lens

LowdownJT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I am looking for a faster lens for my 5100 and I can either pick up the 35mm for $200 or I can snag a very clean used 50mm f1.8d for $80. Both of them get very good reviews, and from the samples seem like they would do a great job. I know the 50mm will be totally manual, but I find I am playing more with manual focus than AF, so not sure if that is a downside. Being that I am new to SLR cameras, I am swaying towards the 35mm because it does give me the AF option if I need it, but it seems hard to pass up the 50mm for the price. Anything else I should consider before I make the decision one way or the other?

Thanks,

Two entire diff lenses. Two diff focal lengths. Depends what you plan to shoot. Casual walk around- you might see value in the 35.

Casual walk arounds, kids, and scenery are about what I am looking at shooting. Kids are in plays and concerts, so I need something good in lower light situations, which I understand both these will be a huge improvement over the 2 lenses I have currently.

I have the 50mm 1.8D and have no problems taking pictures with it. My only gripe since it won't autofocus on the D3100/D5100 is that it is nearly impossible to hand it over to someone and take a decent photo of you unless that person is knolwledgeable with cameras. The 50mm AF-S G has a focus motor and costs $220. I would suggest that you spend a day shooting at 35mm then at 50mm and see which is better for you and decide which focal length you want and if a manual focus would be suited for you should you decide to go for the 50mm.

I was recently faced with a similar decision and I went with the 35 1.8 and have been very happy with it. On my camera it is more like a 52mm and has helped indoors in some of the smaller areas I've been. So far it's what is on my camera most of the time.

Although, for the price of the 50mm it might be worth grabbing even if you do get the 35mm.

I'm happy with the 35mm and believe I will also end up with an 85mm. Right now I'm torn between the 85mm macro vr and the 85mm 1.8.

Anyway, I'm happy with the 35mm and for you it will probably depend on how you'll use it.

I know the 50mm will be totally manual,
Uh, not totally.

See page 159, menu a3: Rangefinder in your D5100 user's manual. Your D5100 may even light up the in-focus indicator in the viewfinder.

The D after 1/8 means the lens sends Distance information to the camera's auto focus module electronics.

The only part of the auto focus system missing is a motor to turn the lens focus ring.

Uh, not totally.

See page 159, menu a3: Rangefinder in your D5100 user's manual. Your D5100 may even light up the in-focus indicator in the viewfinder.

The D after 1/8 means the lens sends Distance information to the camera's auto focus module electronics.

The only part of the auto focus system missing is a motor to turn the lens focus ring.

Forgot to mention that. It does light up your in-focus indicator regardless of mode (manual, aperture priority, shutter prority) But if you turn on the range finder, it's easier to focus as then exposure meter becomes some sort of a directional focus indicator on top of the focus dot. That means you will be prompted to turn left or right to get the right focus which males it easier to focus. It doesn't work on manual mode though.

The 35mm is an AF-S lens with a built in focusing motor (like the lenses you already have). The 50mm is a plane AF lens. These auto focus with a motor on the camera body which your D5100 does not have. I used one with the D5100 I was using last year. I found it very hard to manual focus because of the dark viewfinder on the D5100. On the other hand, I have the 35mm f/1.8 AF-S and it works just fine.

I found it very hard to manual focus because of the dark viewfinder on the D5100.
That's why the D5100 has the Rangefinder menu option.

While AF-S lenses have an auto focus motor in them, and AF lenses don't, the AF lenses are still CPU lenses that communicate with the electronics in the camera they are attached to.

Uh, not totally.

Keith, thanks! I was actually reading that in the manual last night and was thinking the D lens would be able to communicate, so you and jrizal just validated it. As Josh mentioned above, getting both lenses for under $300 may be a worthy purchase, I just don't know if I will ever need both. I am going to play with the camera today at both a 35 and 50mm setting and see which length I like best. Appreciate the information!

Jrizal,

i am going to take your suggestion and set my current lens to both settings and see which makes the most sense for what I am planning to do. Regarding handing the camera over to allow someone else to shoot a picture is a good thing to consider too, typically I am always shooting the pictures, but there is always that possibility.

Thanks for your feedback!

@lowdown, even though one may have a good dslr, it is still used as a point and shoot on certain occasions especialy if you want to be in that picture. Sometimes, it's not all about the artsy stuff.;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back