Nikon 5100 .... Camera Viewer Problem or Newbie Error??

TraciGrace

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I have a Nikon 5100 and have been using it without many issues. Today, I took it on a weekend trip with my daughter and the LCD display showed like a watercolor/splotchy effect on all my pictures...through the LCD viewer and after I took the pictures. When I got home and downloaded the photos, the pictures downloaded in fine condition. I am thinking it is a problem with the LCD? Has anyone had this problem? I called the Nikon helpline and they were not very helpful and wanted me to ok damage repairs and send them my camera, but I am not sure what the best thing to do would be. If anyone can provide any assistance, I would be so appreciative.

Thanks,
Traci Grace

Make sure you don't have a Retouch option selected (page 176 of the D5100 user's manual - the PDF file on the software disc).

Also check to see if you have the 'clipping' (highlight) indicators turned on (page 125)

I just bought a Nikon D5100 and after taking 77 pictures, it came up with an error message. "!err, switch off and on" i have done that several times yet the error remains. i removed the lens and covered the camera with the cap and switched on. the message cleared, but once i replaced the lens, the error message returned.
please what can i do?

Pages 224 and 225 of the D5100 user's manual lists the indicators and error codes a D5100 will display.
ERR can be associated with an initialization error or memory card issues.

If the error persists only when the lens is mounted it may be an electronics problem with the lens. You don't say what lens, but I will assume it is a Nikon kit lens.
You can check the lens mount (camera side and lens side) to be sure it is clean. Make sure all the electrical contacts between the camera and lens are clean.
If they are cleans, the camera and lens will likely need to be sent to Nikon for warranty service.

I just bought a Nikon D5100 and after taking 77 pictures, it came up with an error message. "!err, switch off and on" i have done that several times yet the error remains. i removed the lens and covered the camera with the cap and switched on. the message cleared, but once i replaced the lens, the error message returned.
please what can i do?

From the instructions:

Err
Camera malfunction.
Release shutter. If error persists or appears frequently, consult Nikon-authorized service representative.

Most reactions

Back