Nikon 70-300 af infinity focus problem.

Leon Monterrubio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi!
Ive just found a Nikon af 70-300 on a garage sale, with box and covers and practically new, no use marks. At home i’ve installed the lens on my D5300 and took a Few shots but when i’ve tried to take a pic of the full moon at 300mm the lens just don’t focus at infinity. It only focus objects within 10mts or so, everything else it's blury. At 70mm it’s less noticeable but it’s there. The focus ring turns and stops in the marks of the lens, just as indicated.

Is there any way to fix this, open the lens and adjust the infinity point of the Focus?
What could be the problem?
Thanks in advance.

There is none of information about an issue like this so i’ve opened up the lens and learn a lot today.

It seems that the lens was opened for cleaning purposes and the focus cylinder was reasembled wrong, it stops where it belongs but one or two knotches inside the wall of the piece (there are 3 long plástic cylinders inside one each other) where skipped so it doesnt go down properly.

I took apart that piece and place it in the right notch so now sits correctly with the other inner pieces. Reassemble the whole thing, took me like 2 hours the entire process And voila! Now infinity focus works just fine.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back