nikon 70-300 lens

mrshaleyberg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is this a pretty decent lens? I was looking at buying one off ebay since I have a gift card I need to use.

Don't get the non-VR one. I've heard nothing but bad reviews on it.

On the other hand, the 70-300 VR is a great lens. 90% of the time that's what is on my camera. Takes some awesome pics.

Can you get a VR one that's NOT a AF-S?

No. And, why would you want to do that? AF-S generally focuses much faster, and more accurately, than an equivelent AF lens.

If your perception is the AF-S focus motor adds significantly to the cost, you would be wrong. Most of the cost differences are in build quality and optics.

What would be better to get? The teacher of my photography class advised me to get a 17-55mm (tamron) rather than a 70-300 (tamron or nikon). I just want another lens that isn't solely for portraits, because I would like to take pictures of other stuff too. I would LOVE to get a macro lens, but I really don't see myself taking a bunch of macro's even though I love it. And I know the tamron 70-300 has a macro setting..I don't know what lens to get. It's hard to decide. I'm not wanting to spend TOO much money, but I want a decent lens. Maybe I should just save up and get some REALLY good glass like a Nikon 70-200 or something, and for now just buy a SB-600 like I had planned.

The Tamron 70-300 with the 1:2 macro capability is for APS-C size sensored cameras (Tamron DI designation) and projects an image circle smaller than the D700's full size sensor.

Well that's lame. I guess I'll just go with my plans to save for a nice lens rather than cheap lenses, and I'll just get my SB-600 for now. Thanks for the help!

What would be better to get? The teacher of my photography class advised me to get a 17-55mm (tamron) rather than a 70-300 (tamron or nikon).

Tamron doesn't make a 17-55, and you don't want to get Nikon's 17-55 for a D700.

I recommend saving for either the Nikon 24-70 2.8 or the Nikon 16-35 if you want something cheaper. Depends if you want an ultra wide zoom or a mid ranged zoom. Both lenses are amongst the best ever made. The optics on both are superb.

What would be better to get? The teacher of my photography class advised me to get a 17-55mm (tamron) rather than a 70-300 (tamron or nikon).

Tamron doesn't make a 17-55, and you don't want to get Nikon's 17-55 for a D700.

I recommend saving for either the Nikon 24-70 2.8 or the Nikon 16-35 if you want something cheaper. Depends if you want an ultra wide zoom or a mid ranged zoom. Both lenses are amongst the best ever made. The optics on both are superb.

I meant 17-50..My bad. I'll look into those. Thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back